Ric Mossip's 2006 502 bike

Business, Dealers, Vendors, etc, ads only.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Ric Mossip's 2006 502 bike

Post by CanuckHoss »

I will be selling Ric's 502 bike for his family and Estate as I was asked last nite by his brother. He stated Ric made it very clear in his Will that the bike was to come to me to sell...I will NOT be charging anything for selling his bike.

I wanted to get a bit ahead of the game as a heads up on here just in case someone was thinking 502 and bought one without knowing this was for sale.

I don't have the mileage or anything on the bike...I just know it has the Kewl metal front end and batwing fairing attached. Ric put his own touches on a handshift and also a very unique throttle system during the past winter.

The bike is 5 hours away so not easy for myself to go and see it to rate the condition. I can hopefully get some current pictures but I am attaching this one from after the front end / batwing install.

Price? We will figure that out or maybe just be open to a reasonable offer...more on that later.
Attachments
Rics502.jpg
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Ric Mossip's 2006 502 bike

Post by CanuckHoss »

Between myself and the family we have decided the "asking" price to be $34,900 Canadian $$ for Ric's bike. At that price the USD $$ would convert somewhere under $32,000..but as I said it is "asking"

Pics and mileage etc will come this week I hope as one of his friends is in possession of it and it is 5 hours away...will update as soon as I can.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

YAHHOOOO for the family...just took a deposit on Ric's bike over the phone.

Sounds like a really nice guy from Saskatchewan so it looks like a great home for Ric's Dragon.
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Barry

That's great news! it's important that these links are moved on for the family. You've done a good job there mate.

Make sure the new guy khows about the forum. There are a few of us that would like to keep a link to Ric through the Dragon.
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

GordonBH wrote:Barry

That's great news! it's important that these links are moved on for the family. You've done a good job there mate.

Make sure the new guy khows about the forum. There are a few of us that would like to keep a link to Ric through the Dragon.

Absouletly...good idea...I will mention the Forum to him..would be nice if he kept active with us as an owner of Ric's bike
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:goodjob: glad to hear Rick's bike is going to a good home and that you will invite him to join the forum. (this forum of course):mrgreen:

Pics of the sale and happy owner :D please

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I received his bike Saturday just before closing. Since then, starting Tuesday I have been checking it out and doing maintanence items that Ric seemed to neglect due to his illness...absolutley nothing against Ric...I understand what he was dealing with. I also found out last nite just how much Ric trusts me /my business in the selling of his bike and I am truly blessed to be thought of in that manner by Ric and his family. It is easy dealing with a family like Ric's..they have integrity like Ric did and are truly good people.

I am getting most things straightened away..minor stuff like engine oil, air filter, belt adjustments etc.

Took it for my maiden trip today for 15 minutes to make sure it was all running 100% for the new buyer to pick up Saturday. To my disappointment it will not lay rubber at 10 or 20 mph..no way... it stumbles when hitting the throttle at 20mph, burps a bit and then accelerates but not like a 502 should...not close

I knew Ric was having issues when he first changed from the Demon to the Carby Mike carb but I honestlythought he had it all fixed. The thread here from 2012 identifies the issues exactly what I am seeing today:

http://www.v8bikeriders.com/forums/s...rby+mike+stage

I phoned one of Ric;s friends tonite that would have ridden with him the past years and he said that Ric just lived with the stumble and lack of being able to lay rubber...his gas mileage was good and normal acceleration on the highway was good. this is not normal running condition to sell the bike in.

Carby Mike...can you tell me what model carb you sold Ric so I can tell my carb guy and we can get at fixing it hopefully before Saturday and if not then at least the buyer can attack it at home?? Thank you

if someone has Mike's email or number so i can call him would also work.
CanuckHoss

mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

PM Sent.
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

CanuckHoss wrote: Carby Mike...can you tell me what model carb you sold Ric so I can tell my carb guy and we can get at fixing it hopefully before Saturday and if not then at least the buyer can attack it at home?? Thank you

PM sent.
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

mdwdvm wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote: Carby Mike...can you tell me what model carb you sold Ric so I can tell my carb guy and we can get at fixing it hopefully before Saturday and if not then at least the buyer can attack it at home?? Thank you

PM sent.
Thanks for the contact info.

it definitely needs a bit more than a rebuild. I have never had a bike or trike, BB or SB, that when you hit the starter warm it won't start without a bit of throttle first...that is a cold start scenario... this is what is happening too with Ric's as well as the stumble and lack of power.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Dang.....nothing locally or even in Canada for rebuild kits so I ordered from Jegs...might be here tomorrow but most likely Tuesday.

Took off tank and it is a 1910. Mike thought it was but was not 100% sure
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Barry,

How did you get on with Ric's 502 ?
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

GordonBH wrote:Barry,

How did you get on with Ric's 502 ?
Lee...my carb guy came over yesterday and took the carb off. He was not too happy when he saw the carb and but was hoping he could get it back to normal and not have to just chuck it. I had ordered a rebuild kit and a better accelerator pump that arrived Friday so Lee took that with him.

He messaged me last nite that he had the carb done and would be at my shop Tuesday hopefully for install. We had snow overnite and everything is white...I need dry roads to go for a test and tune and we will get that this week.

I will update when the carb is on and I have had a run...I want to report that there was tire smoke behind the Dragon for the first time in 3 years...
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

The carb went back onto the bike this morning...Lee said there was an issue with the accelerator pump for sure and a couple other small things when he did the rebuild...after installing the carb Lee did some minor tweeking and left me to put on the tank and let him know how it did on the highway.

I managed to hang from the bars a small mechanics 1 1/2 quart tank so I could ride it without the tank on. That way if we needed to get at the carb for any adjustment it was right there.

The bike runs really really well now. I am not sure there is enough fuel flowing from that bottle because the hose ID is small and I stuffed it inside the hose that would normally go to the petcock so flow might have been not what the beast needed with a handfull of throttle. it did smoke the tire but not as easily as I might have thought.

Tank will go on to tomorrow or Thursday and I will get a normal ride.

On a sidenote I took my 502 bike out after Rics and I can say for sure now by comparision that the Arnott on mine is a huge huge improvement over stock.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Tank went on Wednesday, cleaned up some wiring, buttoned her up and went for a 20 minute scoot.

Runs like a top , never skipped a beat and definitely runs better when getting gas from the tank rather than the bottle I tried the day before. Also I am thinking that the ratio the throttle pulls due to the gear setup is different from a normal throttle which might account for the fact that I thinks it performs not quite as well as it should for a 502.

Anyways it is all done on our side of things and the new owner comes Monday...I need to remember to take pictures...

As a sidenote...When installing the tank I kept hitting my damn head on the fairing when standing up as I am not used to it...the 5th time I did that I stood up and swore at the bike and immediately a picture of Ric came to mind and him laughing at me....that calmed the moment for me and brought a big giggle to me rather than anger..Thanks Ric
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Barry,

Great perserverance, well done, a task done above and beyond the "dealer" aspect. It is important to a number of us that Ric's bike is transferred in the condition a BB is expected.

As a self-employed businessman too, I understand the unpaid time put into the sale is for the right reasons.

Thanks.
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

The Dragon's Final Alberta Chapter

Post by CanuckHoss »

The new owner Scott scheduled to make the 5 hour trip to me today despite our frigging cold weather and icy / snowy roads. I had to go to the shop a few hours early just to get on the ATV plow and clear everything off for easy loading.

After plowing I figured time to fire up the Dragon before Scott got there to make sure all is well. The bike would not fire...Absolutely not even one stinking cough out of her..man oh man...time to trouble shoot...

Lifted the tank..checked carb...I was 99.999% sure it was not flooding as I could not smell gas that bad. Grabbed a new sparkplug and stuck it in a wire but I could not see any spark...dang...knock knock knock on the door..the new owner had arrived...frig.

At this point nothing to do but be honest about the past 30 minutes. We could not see spark on the pug. I managed to get the 12V feed to the distributor off and tested it with a test light and yes there was 12V there. Scott checked spark a screwdriver into the wire rather than a spark plug and by coincidence the bike fired...hmmmmmm??.. Put the wire back on the plug and gave her a go and yes indeed the bike was running.

It almost...almost seems like the Dragon was just not wanting to go to a new home but once he met Scott he gave in...at least my theory of things anyways.

Spent a bit of time with Scott getting him familiar with things...I believe Scott will make a great owner...

This will close this Chapter of the Dragon's life in Alberta and we look forward to new stuff from Scott...Good luck Scott and hopefully you get aboard the Forums.

Here is Scott aboard the Dragon for the first time...
Attachments
IMG_4136.JPG
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Whew ! Glad everything worked out! :thumbup:
Bike looks awesome and I do hope Scott joins this Forum. :ridding:

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Yep, a good ending.
Gordon from England
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

GordonBH wrote:Yep, a good ending.
And for all involved a good beginning
phpBB [video]
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

randy burkey wrote:
Indeed Randy..Scott seems to be a go getter so to speak and has it stripped down for paint and is doing mods already...new rad / fan is going to be ordered along with other parts.
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

That's good to hear, that he's getting into it seriously. The Dragon bike is still loved.
Gordon from England
ventury

Post by ventury »

CanuckHoss wrote:
randy burkey wrote:
Barry
Good job all round bro
Ventury