7000ft and still climbing

well-almost anything, wear your colors inside, we don't care.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
ventury

7000ft and still climbing

Post by ventury »

7000ft and climbing

"its a gold wing "prt 2

Touch down in Vegas. 20 minutes after getting off a 10 hour flight I was in a cab making my way to the self storage to unleash the beast, also known as my GL 1800.

It had been 8 weeks since I last saw it. I turned the key and the bike jumped into its deep groaning purr ready to eat the miles. As I set off across the amazing landscape towards Big Bear Lake I passed one of the biggest solar farms I've ever seen. As I left the plateau and started to rise into the mountains in front of me I looked back to such an incredible sight - a huge expanse of flat valley floor with the widest brightest shaft of light reflecting off the solar farm. It was like something from Star Trek. If Flash Gordon suddenly appeared out of the rocks It wouldn't of looked out of place!

The higher I got into the mountains the quicker the temperature dropped. Within 15 minutes it had dropped 20 degrees F. America is certainly a land of extremities, from highs to lows, small to big, hot to cold. I finally rolled into Victorville, quite a pleasant place. Once refreshed I started to take the climb up to Big Bear. Once again, the high heat dropped to low heat, no heat, and then really quite chilly around the nether regions. For the first time I used my seat heat and handle grip heat, that was impressive. It made riding comfortable. As I went around the corner nearing 7000 feet above sea (the highest I had ever been)the road was suddenly snow covered and all around me was a good few inches of snow. Within a short while the road had cleared, down to the quick reactions of a snowplough. I felt okay riding the bike on this recently cleared tarmac, it felt sure footed.

Rolling into Big Bear Lake gave me a sense of relief. If the snows fell then I would leave the bike there for the season, might even risk a phone call home delaying my return by a few more weeks. Oh dear, what a shame I don't think, lol. The sights were incredible, the lake and the snow was quite a picture. The folk there were really friendly and warm but like everywhere I noticed a big change from city folk, a slower pace of life.

I went panning for gold with a guy who owns a gold claim for some years. He won't mind me saying so, but he did seem a little mad,and very heavily armed,but we got on OK. I dropped down from Big Bear and via Backersfield I headed north to Camp Nelson CA where I hired a cabin, . Once again from the heat of the lowlands to the snowy minus 3.Surprisingly my bike didn't miss a beat during the drastic changes of altitude. I know for a fact many other bikes would have struggled to perform as effortlessly as my trusted Honda. It seemed to be appreciative of the new tyres and fluids change in Vegas. It thanked me in return by reliably giving me a tour of some of the best countryside in the world in comfort I've only ever felt when sat in my lovely living room with the log fire ablaze and the dogs on my lap.

It was off season so very low population but once again sights I have only ever imagined. Coming down from altitude I headed south stopping off at Palm Springs, riding past one of the biggest wind farms I've ever seen. I took a detour riding actually through the wind farms. It felt like I was among an army of giants.I have never felt so small ever I have seen many wind farms in Europe but once again America is a land of diversity. These were the biggest and certainly the most I have ever seen. I also saw an airfield with so many parked up aircrafts, just sitting out in the desert due to it's zero corrosion climate. We have heard of this and saw a documentary back in Britain many years ago, how aircraft can be left for years with very little maintenance/cocooning against the elements. To see it for real was awesome

Sadly my final destination of San Diego loomed on the horizon far too quickly. For the first time I wished my Goldwing didn't eat the tarmac miles as fast as it did. It seems like such a short time ago I was leaving New York. Now I am walking down the beach and touching the gently lapping sea in San Diego.

Gentlemen, San Diego were spot on certainly is a beautiful city (the night lights and skyline) and I've seen my fair share of cities. It has a calm feeling about it, the people are friendly, the homeless aren't aggressive, especially the one guy, down on his luck who I bought a meal for,turns out he was an ex war veteran
The ships in the harbour breath taking, the bridge across the bay which I rode across twice, incredible, the warm climate so very welcome. The only thing I had when I travelled to the Mexican border was an odd confused feeling. Seeing some of these desperate people trying to get into the US but that's another topic in an ever changing world.

Can't wait to return early next year, Texas here we come.

Regards to you all, ride safely.

John and Laura
ps,,,PHOTOS IN 7000ft PRT 2 once I work out how to re size them
Attachments
The finest woman I know,wife of 32yrs Laura looking great
The finest woman I know,wife of 32yrs Laura looking great
3 days panning,,,yep my hand and my find
3 days panning,,,yep my hand and my find
10 mins later the mountain road was closed
10 mins later the mountain road was closed
Last edited by ventury on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Re: 7000ft and still climbing

Post by V8Bikers »

John, you have a real talent painting a picture with your words! You might want to consider a side career as a adventure writer. Felt like I was there. I have not been to the places you went to so it was good to get first hand views from someone I know personally. Glad you are enjoying the states and hope to meet up with you if you come through Florida in the future.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
tjy

Post by tjy »

John, I too thoroughly enjoyed your posting Just like I was following you! I also look forward to catching up with you and Laura again! :capwin: :thanks:

ventury

Post by ventury »

Gentlemen & ladies
Many thanks for the kind enthusiastic words,live life
ride safe,,,,,,,and Fuck the terroists,they will never win over us.PERIOD
regards
John and Laura