2 cylinders short,,,ITS A GOLD WING

well-almost anything, wear your colors inside, we don't care.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
ventury

2 cylinders short,,,ITS A GOLD WING

Post by ventury »

I have owned and ridden nearly every BH V8 ,,,,so here is something different,
Hi

Got into New York from the UK, wow what a busy city. Saw the amazing lights of Time Square and then we walked down to Ground Zero to pay our respects. Caught the Amtrak train to Johnstown PA. The scenery was breath taking. Arrive and went on to Windber where Tim Tokarsky of Windber Can Am met us with a warm smile welcome and took us to the waiting GL 1800, 2012, finely sculptured symphonic engineering at its best - a Honda legend.

The bike looked so much better in the flesh and it has been a few years since I sold my GL1100 that I'd had for 19 years. The smoothness of the 2012 engine was the first thing I noticed. Smooth but still maintaining a deep rumble that gave a hint of a powerful smooth accelerating faithful friend.
Onto the Flight 92 Memorial,to pay my respect, It's still beyond me how a human being can cause so much devastation to another human under the banner of religion.

The Goldwing was silky smooth around the bends, inclines and declines. I found winding open the throttle in top gear was rewarded with a powerful acceleration from low speed right up to a healthy cruising speed. One thing that surprised me - fully laden and carrying a pillion I felt little of not no difference at all. The air suspension and the balance of my Goldwing is quite incredible. There was no feeling of having to drag the Goldwing around corners as was very familiar with my old, very loved GL1100 1982. Exploring all the controls I felt like a child finding pleasure on every new revelation - the sound system, doesn't that work superbly well even at cruising speed. The air vent in the windshield during the 90 degree riding heat we have just experienced is a marvelous after thought. I flicked it open and directed a slightly cooling breeze either to my face or chest. The storage is so deceiving, I managed to pack all my stuff and my wife's endless necessities that apparently we can't live without. All snuggly gently squeezed all the storage space that was offered.

We have done 400 miles now, up from Johnstown on the 160 South, 30 East, 26 North to Huntingdon and we are now in Bloomsburg. So far the countryside has been a gift from God for sure. Tim Tokarsky, the Can Am dealer in Windber gave us this route, convinced us Brits who are used to a small foggy rock called home would thoroughly enjoy it ,and he was right.

So far I have found the Navi to be quite amazing. I entered a phone number and it directed me 30 miles to the precise location. I wondered how I would get along with the new Honda technology. Unlike my grown up children who seem to have some digital telepathic wire free hands free do anything you tell it modern satellite linked device that to me may as well be black magic that is controlled by some higher intelligence that I just wasn't born with. But so far all the technology on the Goldwing has been very user friendly and forgiving with that wonderful "back" button that enables me to backtrack and start again.

It's too early for me to tell the mpg but it's already feeling very favourable. I am next heading onto M.I to start Route 66, hopefully by then I'll be able to upload the odd photograph if anyone is interested along with an update of the journey so far.The American Hospitality has been incredible

Ride safe.

John and Laura
petitemoose

Re: 2 cylinders short,,,ITS A GOLD WING

Post by petitemoose »

Ride safe and have Fun :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Pictures are always welcome!! Congrats and have fun!!

ventury

Post by ventury »

We left the Appalacian Mountains and headed towards MI and rested up in Ann Arbour.

Early, before the sun had risen and there was a slight freshness in the air we set off. It was great to be in th saddle again aboard my trustee Goldwing that seems only to be happy when eating the miles on the black top, engine purring around about 80mph. It felt like I hadn't been riding for weeks but it was only 3 days.

Watching the sun rays reach out across the dark night sky, pushing back the darkness. I know that sounds like an old hippy talking but the skies seem bigger, the clouds seem bigger here in the USA. I think it's because the view to the horizon is so much more than the horizons back in my home town of Bath, United Kingdom. I started to leave the built up area and the scenery started to change slowly as we got deeper into Nebraska. First day in the saddle clocked up 600 miles and I felt I could have done more. I stayed in a small town called Newton. The architcture of some of the buildings was turn of the century with a very typical American square with the town hall set in the middle of it. I am told I am in the midwest and from my experience ettiquette and good manners seem to be the norm. That's refereshing to me. Europe is very much becoming a place of greed with little space for old fashioned good manners.

I rode into Omaha. I was surprised to see how big it was. I visited a very good American friend and his wife, children and grandchildren for a few days. Our common link was the V8 Boss Hoss community a few years ago. I received another massive dose of American hospitality at its best. It's now getting to the stage that I don't really want to go home, lol.

Once again, a real early start out of Omaha onto the plain. Every time I set off in this amazing land I get the same butterflies in my stomach, apprehension and excitement of new day new horizons. I watched the farmed fields change and become slightly rocky, arid and dry. Rolling into Colorado across the state line gave me a buzz as if I was a teenager. I couldn't believe I was coming into Colorado. When I was growing up that was where all the cool people lived or lived near, or so I thought. I watched the terrain change but in front of me in the distance it looked like dark clouds coming over the horizon. The clouds didn't move, they just grew. After a few hours I realised these dark clouds were to the left of me and to the right of me way in front with sharp profiles. It was the Rockies, another adrenaline rush for me. I came off the i80 onto the i70 and straight into the heart of these incredible breathtaking mountains. It was labor day weekend so unbeknown to me traffic jams were a given. I found it very odd to be driving through such incredible fantastic canyons with god inspired mountains to the left and to the right, yet crawling along in a very heavy traffic jam. It confused my senses somewhat. I pulled up in Dillon Damn and rested for the night. Another good day, high miles covered.

I left Dillon and the roads still rose. I finally went through a tunnel and the funniest weirdest feelings that I have experienced hit me like a wall when I came out of that tunnel. The valley swept down so fast and swift, the temperature felt 10 degrees lower, I felt I was at the top of a ski jump on a goldwing, no snow just on the road. For the next eternity it was fast flowing traffic down hill. I couldn't believe I could feel altitude sickness effects, it just felt like there wasn't enough oxygen no matter how much air I gulped in. But as we sped down hill my ears popped and I could feel my lungs partying on the sheer abundance of oxygen in the air. I have never felt altitude effects in my life. I rode on and sadly the Rockies ended too suddenly and I was in Utah, barren flat rocky terrain. I started to get scarily close to running out of fuel so I tucked myself behind the fairing, folded my cruise pegs up, dropped my speed to 40mph and counted the many signs I passed with the words I have never seen before, clear and burned onto my brain "No Services". I have never seen those two words on signposts and I will never forget seeing them that day. I was just wondering how good cell phone signal was and AAA response times were, assuming they could find me in a terrain that can only be compared to the moon (not that I have ridden a goldwing around the moon, but you get the picture).

Then I saw it - two golden arches on a signpost, McDonalds. I couldn't believe it and I had to smile and I think I still had 15 miles gas left. I wound the throttle up and accelerated the last mile, sliding off to the gas station and a well deserved bathroom stop at that oh so familiar brand McDonalds.

After a day of near bike pushing on mountain rock like moon terrain I rolled into Green River. Nice hotel and welcoming shower. I explored the little town, I have never seen a deserted town. A beautiful 100 year old building that was the bank stood empty, unloved and uncared for, few motels and a derelict gas station. I keep forgetting the sheer size of America and the shifting of the economy results in what I was confronted with, a dead/dying town. I have never seen this before. I guess this is progress.

Next stop Salt Lake City - wow what an amazing place. Sorry for the long winded above. If you're all still awake and don't mind another update I will write soon.

America has been an incredible experience. The Americans have an incredible upbeat welcome, full of optimism and hospitality. From Laura and myself a heartfelt thank you.

2800 miles and we're still loving every mile. Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Death Valley etc to come, can't wait.

Ride safe.

John and Laura
ventury

Post by ventury »

Iron Maiden wrote:Pictures are always welcome!! Congrats and have fun!!

Thanks Iron Maiden
,,iam working a kindle ,reading and typing is the extent of my knowledge on this dam thing that seems to work by some Demonic spirit within,,that decides how words should be spelt regardless to what I type

Ride safe
Regards
John and laura
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi John,

Been in a PC hiatus but should be back to normal now. Great road trip. very envious.

If you want to send pics to me I have a new email and I'll send it to you.

Keep the rubber down.

Gordon
Gordon from England
ventury

Post by ventury »

GordonBH wrote:Hi John,

Been in a PC hiatus but should be back to normal now. Great road trip. very envious.

If you want to send pics to me I have a new email and I'll send it to you.

Keep the rubber down.

Gordon

Hi Gordon
glad to see you back,The rockies were breathtaking
ride safe
John