And now for something completely different ...

well-almost anything, wear your colors inside, we don't care.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
petitemoose

And now for something completely different ...

Post by petitemoose »

Bought Jr a 92 Mustang Gt 5.0 over the weekend. Guy that sold it to me told me that his mechanic heard a noise in the bottom end that would probably require a rebuild. Got the car cheap enough so It didn't bother me. Took the car to a friend that is familiar with Mustangs and when he saw the Engine shaking around the engine bay he told me that I had the wrong Harmonic balancer or flywheel on the car. He could not remember Harmonic Balancer was required so I figured I would ask if anybody here might know before I dove in head first into the internet and get steered in the wrong direction. From what little bit I have read there are three possibiliities of weights: Zero ( Internally Balanced ) .28 and .50.

SO ... If you know ... I am eagerly listening. Otherwise I will be talking to about 5 different dealerships getting 6 different answers
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Buck
$ite $upporter

Re: And now for something completely different ...

Post by Buck »

a broken motor mount will exhibit the same characteristics
Buck
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Duly Noted, I will double check that.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Has the engine ever been out of the car? The wrong flywheel couldn't have jumped in there on it's own. The wrong balancer could have been installed. Did you quiz the previous owner? If it was running OK and then began to exhibit the noise and shaking, I'd look elsewhere for the problem
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Previous owner pretty much bought it like it is. He did hand me a folder full of receipts so I will continue going through it to see if I can find a clue. I did see a receipt where a mechanic r&r'd the engine and installed "Customer Supplied Parts" The guy before the seller is no longer with us so I have a very short rabbit trail before it dead ends ... No pun intended
Ponch

Post by Ponch »

Any conclusions yet?
see ya bye
Ponch

Image...............................................Image
..Ft Myers, FL. 33905..............................................Springfield, IL. 62712
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Nothing yet. Have verified the firing sequence is correct for the cam and the motor mounts are in good shape. I found a receipt that the flywheel was "reconditioned" but no other info on that. I do have a 50 oz. harmonic balancer that is correct for the car that will be installed this weekend IF I can make room in the garage.
Hope to have good news shortly
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Got my butt under the car and swapped out the harmonic Balanced for TCI Rattler Version. Started it up afdter the install and the engine no longer lunges left to right and up and down trying to free itself from the confines of the Engine bay. Shut it off after only a few seconds because the belts radiator etc was still out. Found the fan plastic was cracked all over and about to free itself from the thin steel frame and have decided to increase the size of the radiator and replace mechanical fans with electric. Do not know 100% for sure if the problem has been resolved but early indicators are that is has. When removing the old stock one I ran across a bad seal, cracked rubber on the balancer and it appears as if it was never fully seated. two of the three could have caused the issue but both together tells me even if the problem still exixts, these parts needed to go anyway.