Gwen and Barry

well-almost anything, wear your colors inside, we don't care.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Gwen and Barry

Post by CanuckHoss »

The last 24 hours have been an awesome blurr!!

1 1/2 hours before heading to the Airport yesterday for my flight to Germany and Pullman I cancelled the flight. Yep. Cancelled

The reason? It was at that time the transplant doctor called and said to get to the hospital that afternoon as a kidney that matched was avaiable and it was Gwens...Gwen and I were blown away to say the least. She had a call in December and did not. get that kidney. She had a call 3 weeks ago and did not get that kidney. So it did not look good for another call for a while. But we got THE call.

The timing could not have been closer as another 4 hours and I was gone for at least 24 hours to get back

The neat thing is that I have had a gut feeling for the last 2 months that the call would come sometime before I left for Germany. I just never thought it would be a matter of only a couple hours

Anyways. She had been in her room recovering for the past 6 hours or better and is doing very very well. The operation was a complete success as far as transplants go.

If you believe in prayer please keep her in yours and otherwise if you just keep her in your thoughts is great too

This is a game changer for us and an absolute Godsend Miracle as Gwen so deserved a better shot at life

:canada: :canada: :canada:
Last edited by CanuckHoss on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Swiss V8

Re: Gwen and Barry

Post by Swiss V8 »

I wish Gwen all the best! and a good recovery!

Dang it's a pitty that you will miss the rally this year, but you might come both together next year!

I'm still looking forward to meet you in person one time... 8-)
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Good to hear.
I always thought women had 6 or 8 kidneys, as often and as long it takes them to pee ;)
Kidney disease takes a toll. Dialysis isn't perfect. We had a friend who was on hemodialysis for 45 years, straight. Longer than anyone on record. When she passed, there wasn't much left of her.
Now, you can join the rest of us guys, waiting outside of the ladies room, holding the purse
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Harris

Post by Harris »

All the best for your "better" half Barry!
Harris
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Swiss V8 wrote:I wish Gwen all the best! and a good recovery!

Dang it's a pitty that you will miss the rally this year, but you might come both together next year!

I'm still looking forward to meet you in person one time... 8-)
I will wish gwen all the best from you for sure.

And Yes Martin...it is a shame...Pullman has been on my Bucket List for a lot of years and this one was 1 1/2 years in planning. I was getting hugely excited as it drew near but also had really mixed feelings about leaving Gwen. My gut was telling me something was up...well it obviously was.

Having said that....Gwen's transplant , also a Bucket List item has been 5 years in the waiting so it is all good...more than good.

But now I need to figure out what to do with the trike that is sitting at Uwe's...I was bringing the valid licensing for it with me...obviously that is not there so nobody could even take it to Pullman and try and sell it. I could maybe come in August and do the Norway Rally as Mark suggested to me in Daytona...I could leave it there for next years Pullman and hopefully Gwen is a go for that or I ship it back to Florida in December...too many options.

Enjoy Pullman Martin...hopefully next year for me.
CanuckHoss

502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Yeeehaawww. God luck for Gwen :thumbup:
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Great news, wishing Gwen a speedy recovery and more freedom to enjoy life. Keep us posted and hope to see you next year at Pullman
Gordon from England
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Barry -

That is the best news possible! Gwen and you are both awesome people and you both deserve this!!! Best thought, wishes, prayers ALL coming your way.

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

I just can't express how happy I am for both of you!! When I finally meet Gwen we will have to go to the ladies room together and have our guys hold our purses!!!! Just because we can ;) :thumbup: :capwin:

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Iron Maiden wrote:I just can't express how happy I am for both of you!! When I finally meet Gwen we will have to go to the ladies room together and have our guys hold our purses!!!! Just because we can ;) :thumbup: :capwin:
Uncanny interesting way of putting it Susan.."because we can"..that was the theme to the Kidney March 2013...song by Bon Jovi with the video...when you get 5 minutes have a watch and listen...give me goose bumps overtime. If you can have Peter and Sabine watch too...kind of a game of "Spot Gwen" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvR4GCu8zI
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Barry we can't watch the video link because of the music in it, we will watch it once we get back to the states :dunno:

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Iron Maiden wrote:Barry we can't watch the video link because of the music in it, we will watch it once we get back to the states :dunno:
Cool..thanks Bill
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Bill??? I have been call worse names ;) LOL :rofl:

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Iron Maiden wrote:Bill??? I have been call worse names ;) LOL :rofl:
OH........MY.......GOD!! I will eventually get back to my "normal" thinking...sorry Susan....
CanuckHoss

randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Barry, This is great news! Wishing you and Gwen many years of health and happiness...Randy
phpBB [video]
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Barry,

That is super good news.

Our best to Gwen!
Regards,

Mark

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

Gwen had an awesome 2nd day yesterday 36 hours into this.

She texted this morning and her Creatinin...the level they give for Kidney function was 64...ecstatic. Before on Dialysis she was around the 400 mark as dialysis does not clean blood real well...keeps you some sort of alive. One day after the transplant she was at 150...now the 64 which is pretty much normal. CAn't wait to get to the hospital this morning and see the new Gwen. Even yesterday I saw a Gwen that I have not seen for I bet 10 years....this is truly a Miracle and gift from God for us.
CanuckHoss

V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

:D :D :D :D :D

GO GWEN GO

This is such great news Barry ... how fast circumstances change?! Last week who would have know ... What a great weekend!! Keep it up Gwen!!

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

congrats to the both of you--now there is absolutely no excuse not for her to join the masses in Daytona in March 2016. Most of us would really like to meet her as she is certainly a very unique lady....to put up with you!!
Seriously, this is great news
Buck
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Buck wrote:congrats to the both of you--now there is absolutely no excuse not for her to join the masses in Daytona in March 2016. Most of us would really like to meet her as she is certainly a very unique lady....to put up with you!!
Seriously, this is great news
Buck
Buck

She is a Saint to put up with an ass like me. Some say she is similar to Susan that way. Lol

Here is an update from this morning:Monday Morning Update ...Arrived at Hospital at 10:30. Great timing as all 4 Doctors were here talking with Gwen. They all confirmed that it was going really really good. Such awesome news from them!! So Day 4 starts with awesome news

As far as Daytona 2016 it is not confirmed yet by anyone but we have heard that International travel is not alliwed for one year. If so that is a small price to pay fir getting our lives back. The one downside is putting up with me for another BikeWeek
CanuckHoss

Shriner

Post by Shriner »

:capwin:
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Gwen got home this afternoon around 2pm and is rocking the healing process...which I knew she would just did not know she was going to knock it out of the park.

Had an awesome day getting her from the Hospital.

I can't describe the feeling of joy we both have with this new lease on life. Only a few who may have had a situation like this will really understand how this might feel. On a scale of 1 - 10 it feels like a 20

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for us.
CanuckHoss

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Cheryl and I are so Happy for Gwen and you and your family for your new lease on life . Good luck ,

Jack
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Gwen got home Wednesday afternoon around 2pm and is rocking the healing process...which I knew she would just did not know she was going to knock it out of the park.

Had an awesome day getting her from the Hospital. She travelled quite easily.

Today is Monday and 10 days into the transplant...5 Hospital days and 5 home days.

I can't describe the feeling of joy we both have with this new lease on life. Only a few who may have had a situation like this might understand how this feels. On a scale of 1 - 10 it feels like a 20

Our home is 5 years old and I have spent more time on the back deck smelling the roses with Gwen in the past 5 days than the past 5 years.

The weight that has been lifted from us......wow!! and I truly have my wife back...she was a different person for the last almost 10 years...not all bad either... but now I see the person I married.

The next 4 to 6 weeks is early morning blood work at a Clinic 30 minutes away as the doctors balance all the meds..specifically the anti-rejection drugs. Those will taper in the 6 weeks and get to a maintanence dose.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for us.

Gwen looks forward to meeting all my V8 friends. International travel is quite frowned upon for at least a year...see when the time comes how they hold her to that as I think she will be ahead of any transplant patient in recovery.

So in summary...ALL IS WELL!!! and we are HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!
CanuckHoss

V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

That is fantastic news.

Hope the healing is quick.

That is just great news. :group_hug:
Norm