CanuckHoss's lovely and brave and courageous wife

well-almost anything, wear your colors inside, we don't care.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

CanuckHoss's lovely and brave and courageous wife

Post by CanuckHoss »

My apologies...I forgot Gwen's name when I put this up last nite.

First Gwen
Last Lawrick-Radu

Some of you may not know that my wife Gwen..who is in her early 50's... is on Dialysis. She has PKD..Polysystic Kidney Disease. It is genetic and she she did everything humanly possible for the last 20 years since I met her to delay or even prevent dialysis but 2 years ago it was unavoidable as she was down to 8% function and a human does not function well mentally or pysically at that % so dialysis was started. She went 8 years past what the doctors told her so she did something right.

She has to dialyse 5 nites a week. 1 hour setup. 5 hours hooked to the machine and then 1 hour tear down and cleanup. She has to needle herself which is something that a lot of people cannot do so their option then is 3 days a week at a clinic where everything is done for you. It is a harsher procedure and people sometime 'crash" and it is an ugly thing when that happens. She feels pretty much tied to the house or local travel and at best 1 nite away from home. Travel for the last 2 years has been non-existant for her. She tried to travel to Daytona in 2013 but the hassle with dealing with 3 different companys and getting tests done here put her in bail mode 2 weeks before Daytona.

Last year she decided to join and particpate in a one of a kind in the world 3 day 100 km/62 mile Kidney March thru some beautiful local country here. we came home every nite for her to dialyse then up at 4am to get to the start of the walk in the morning. day 2 was almost 25 miles in monsoon cold rain. She did it with flying colors. 5 of the 172 Marchers were on dialysis and they all finished the complete 100 kms. I was very very proud of her accomplishment. She came away from that walk a mentally changed person..almost like someone who had climbed Mount Everest..."If I can do that then anything is possible' attitude which she still has. It was a life changer for her.

Today she registered for the 5th Annual Kidney March in September and her 2nd March. She needs to raise $2,200 to be able to walk..which she did last year. Friend, relatives, businesses and even friends from this site and the other Forum donated to her which touched her deeply. Around $800 came from V8 friends at least! She found it hard to understand why anyone who never met her would care. I explained to her that we are a different bunch...argue til the cows come home we but all care about each other.

I am asking for her, on her behalf, here...the link below is to her actual page of the Kidney March where you can go and see her pic and read the bio.

http://kidney.akaraisin.com/pledge/Part ... id=1555215

We both thank you in advance for caring. She is my love and my life and I am hoping that thru the money that is raised in the Kidney March research can proceed faster for artificial kidneys, organ donation research etc. There is great stuff happening in research..we are both very hopefuly for a solution.

NOTE:transplant waiting lists here are at 7 to 10 years!!

I am volunteering again this year and may walk next...see what happens. There were 172 marchers last year and 80 or so volunteers.

In the picture with Gwen and I is her 76 year old (young) mom who is marching with Gwen this year..YES..Marching the 62 miles!! She is in great shape and I think she can do it.

Have a read on the Kidney March site the information there to do with stats for kidney failure etc...it will open your eyes.

Here is a cool video from 2013 showing glimpses of the walk..the theme some by Bonjovi is "We Can"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvR4GCu8zI
Attachments
gwenMarch20142.jpg
gwenMarch2014.jpg
Last edited by CanuckHoss on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: CanuckHoss's lovely and brave and courageous wife

Post by CanuckHoss »

My apologies...I forgot Gwen's name when I put this up last nite.

First Gwen
Last Lawrick-Radu

Was pointed out to me by someone wanting to donate.
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Hi Canuck-.

This is such a great opportunity to promote awareness. I am so happy that Gwen and her mom are able to join in this activity once again. We will be logging onto the website to help.

Go Gwen!!!!

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Iron Maiden wrote:Hi Canuck-.

This is such a great opportunity to promote awareness. I am so happy that Gwen and her mom are able to join in this activity once again. We will be logging onto the website to help.

Go Gwen!!!!
:yourock: from Gwen and I THANK YOU! :canada:
CanuckHoss

Ric

Post by Ric »

I sent you a PM on your phone, Barry.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Gwen -

Good for you, Kim and I were very proud and happy for you last year! You did a great job and we know you will do a GREAT job again. I think it is awesome your mom plans to join you this year - VERY cool.

Good luck, please keep us posted!

Don & Kim
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING