anybody have pet birds?

well-almost anything, wear your colors inside, we don't care.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
V8Bikers
Site Admin

anybody have pet birds?

Post by V8Bikers »

We have 2 amazons, yellow nape and double yellow head. One we rescued from a bad situation 13 years ago and the other from a pet
store about 9 years ago. They are both in large cages and have open, multiple branch perches in a sun room and get a lot of out time. They seem to be content and really do not know a different life. I have been feeling guilty lately that they might be better off in a free flight aviary with many other birds. Anyone else with birds ponder this conundrum?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Wild Bill

Re: anybody have pet birds?

Post by Wild Bill »

Bill,
Tracy and I have a Green-Wing Macaw Parrot named Pirate. We visited him every day for six months while he was being tube-fed as a baby. He is about to turn nine years old now.

He is a family member, as most people's pets are, and he is virtually never in his cage. He absolutely enjoys the shit out of his life and is big-time spoiled. He is fully feathered and seems to have no inclination to fly. So no, I have not wrestled with that particular issue.... but I can certainly understand your concern.

Bill

"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

WB- Pirate is a beautiful green-wing!! He sounds just as spoiled as our two. We have a perch in every room including the shower, garage and Florida room. We even hung a rope from our upstairs balcony so they do not have to climb the stairs. Although they could fly up there as they are fully feathered but they choose not to. It is funny to watch them walk across the floor. Our dogs just get up and get out of their way. Attached are a few pics of the "kids".
Attachments
021.JPG
019.JPG
iPhone pics 105.JPG
iPhone pics 023.JPG

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

We had a Moluccan Cockatoo and she was the best pet EVER. Had her for seven years and she died of cancer. Well, she had a cancerous mass that we had removed and after the surgery while walking around the vets office she just fell over and was gone. Took months to get over that. Still have a picture in the office of her meeting our son the hour we brought him home. In Laws were terrified when they saw his little fingers in her mouth but we knew we had nothing to fear. She would fly to his bassinet and whisper to him all the time. WOW ... Really miss her!!! Jr is 12 years old now and still brings her up.
She was free flight and was only in her cage when it was bed time. She flew to my shoulder at meal time and would often act as the official taster of the Kings food LoL
On To your query ... I would not stress about them going elsewhere. If they have all their feathers and eat well, they are perfectly content with where they are and how they are living.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...