Ron and Deb's Next Adventure

road trips, adventures, hidden treasures?
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
addicted08

Re: Ron and Deb's Next Adventure

Post by addicted08 »

3FOR2 wrote:Deb,

You guys are doing what many envy. In the last few years, you've had your trike all over this country. When I grow up, I want to be like you.

Question, In your pictures, sometimes there's a car or truck, and sometimes your trike is on a trailer. What's your normal mode of operation? Do you trailer the trike to a certain location, and do day-rides from there?

Just wondering... and planning... How about the detail on how you plan these trips? Thanks in advance. Pat
Hey Pat,
Our trips are always different. Sometimes we just jump on the trike and go but this time we trailered it. We were planning on a very long trip and wanted to have the car along in case of bad weather. We basically decide where we want to ride and get a motel near there. Unload the trike and go. We have a place in Apache Junction, AZ and we drove out there, unloaded the trike and threw an overnight bag in it then took off for 2 days. It is a fun way to travel.
Deb
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

GordonBH wrote:Thanks again guys,

Great pics, I just love your country, especially the West - the landscape is just awesome.

Lots of great trip ideas.

Gordon (pining for the States)

Gordon,
I'm glad my travel pictures can give you an idea of where to go when you do come over! I know we sure enjoy seeing different parts of the country and, like you, think the landscape out west is awesome.
Deb
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

On our way back to Durango we stumbled onto the Mesa Verde National Park so we decided to go check it out.

There are ancient cliff dwellings in the park. They were really neat.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

Durango is a really neat town also. The surrounding countryside is beautiful and there are a lot of old buildings in downtown Durango.

We went east out of Durango and went through the Wolf Creek Pass. Gorgeous!

This little ground squirrel was checking us out to see if we had any food. They are everywhere and are so cute!

This is a "snow shed". It's purpose is to keep the snow and water that comes off the mountain from blocking the roadway.

There are so many tunnels in Colorado and I think they are quite the engineering marvel.

More pictures of the scenery as we made our way eastward.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

We made our way east and then north from Durango and stopped in Buena Vista. We found a place to park the car and trailer, unloaded the trike, threw an overnight bag in it and hit the road to explore the area.

We rode north from Buena Vista to Leadville. We have been there many times and we always go back because it is a neat area and town. We ate supper at our favorite place...the Silver Dollar Saloon.

We spent the night in Leadville and it rained overnight. The next morning when we headed out the clouds were really hanging low on the mountains. It was a really different sight.

We took the road to Cottonwood Pass. It goes from Buena Vista to Aspen but we didn't go all the way since it started to rain and we were high enough in elevation that it was really cold. But the part that we did ride was beautiful.

We got back to Buena Vista and checked out its "Historic Downtown". It was small but did have some neat old buildings.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

We loaded up the trike in Buena Vista and headed for home in Iowa. After being in the mountains the scenery is not much to talk about or photograph on the way home. But we made it home and have all these great pictures to remind us of our trip. Can't wait to do it again next year.
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Cool thanks for shareing. It sure is a great area to ride
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Thanks Deb :yourock:
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany