Riding in Utah

road trips, adventures, hidden treasures?
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
addicted08

Riding in Utah

Post by addicted08 »

Ron and I are on the road again. We had driven through the Moab, UT area back in January on our way to Tucson and it was so beautiful that we decided we HAD to come back! This time we brought the blue 57 Chevy Boss Hoss to sight see on. We came through Colorado, which is always a favorite for us. You can see that there is some snow on the mountains but we never got up high enough to be in it.

Typical of any trip with a Boss Hoss, questions were asked, comments made and photos taken of my pretty blue Boss Hoss.

Apparently we weren't driving fast enough for this guy.

We got to Moab, UT and unloaded the trike. First place we went was Hwy 128 from Moab north east to I-70. It is a gorgeous ride and we highly recommend it if you are ever out this way.
addicted08

Re: Riding in Utah

Post by addicted08 »

Hwy 128 is stunning, the canyons and Colorado River make some amazing rock formations and scenery.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

More great sights from near Moab.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

We stopped along the road at a turn out to stretch our legs. I saw this trail and decided to go check it out.

This is the view when I followd the trail up the hill.

This is Dewey Bridge. It was built in 1916. Needless to say it isn't being used any more. They built a new bridge in 2000. So...did the old bridge fall apart that much in 12 years??

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

This is the old Dewey Bridge seen from the new bridge.

We stopped for gas and this was sitting at the station. Too cool!

Next we went to Arches National Park. Darryl had told us about this place back in January and it is so neat we went back again.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

More pictures from Arches National Park.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

It is amazing to see the shapes and colors of the rocks in this area. So different than in Iowa!

Some guy, who is obviously crazy, climbed this rock. We didn't stick around to see how he was going to get back down.

More gorgeous scenery.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

Still more pictures from Arches National Park.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

These pictures were taken at the end of the road in Arches National Park. There was quite a bit of hiking involved in our last stop which was a really nice way to stretch our legs.

I like this kind of climbing. No rope needed and I don't have to wonder how I'm gonna get back down!

I have no idea what made this pattern in the rock but it sure looked neat.
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Great pics Debbie, thank you.
You took just about the same route we took in June before we met you in Colorado. Nice to see pictures of this amazing landscape again..
Peter & Biene
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

addicted08 wrote:
Some guy, who is obviously crazy, climbed this rock. We didn't stick around to see how he was going to get back down.
When i read that caption I thought Ron had climbed a rock :rofl:

Shane
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Shane, I might be crazy but not that fucking crazy to try climbing a mountain!

Tonight we are staying in Blanding Utah and had already got a room when we
found out this is a dry town. :banghead:
Last edited by V8 Perv on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Perv , Had the same thing happen once on a bike trip down it Kentucky except We hadn't gotten a room yet . Had to ride another 70 miles just to have a few cocktails after a long days ride . The things we do just for a couple drinks .

Jack
HOGV8
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

We have been in some places that have had really scetchy internet service so I haven't been able to post my pictures. This evening we finally have some good internet service. So, after riding through Arches National Park we went to check out Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands. This is the road (Hwy 191) going North out of Moab.

We then took Hwy 313 West and like everything around Moab, we weren't disappointed.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

The Canyonlands National Park was just as awesome as Arches! We even saw some "wildlife", this little lizard was almost the same color as the Navajo Sandstone. I got a really good close up of him. He was actually only about 2 inches long.

The road through Canyonlands was a lot of fun to ride, lots of curves!

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

Some of the view points are really pretty themselves. Here is Ron taking a picture of the view while I take a picture of him.

We saw several rocks like this one and they are so strange looking that I had to take a picture to show you all.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

This was taken along hwy 191 North of Moab.

These were taken at Dead Horse Point.

It is amazing to see the rock formations in this area. Makes me wonder how they could possibly have formed!

I thought this was really cool, they use the dead wood to make fences or barriers at the view points. It looks neat and is a good use for the dead wood.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

After riding through Dead Horse Point we headed back toward Moab. As we drove Ron saw a sign for Potash 16 miles down this paved road. We decided to go check it out. The road looked interesting, it was paved as opposed to dirt (there are a lot of those) and we thought there might be a bar where we could get a drink in Potash.

This is called Jug Handle Arch.

We saw a sign that said there were Indian Writings on the rocks so we stopped to see them.

The road led us to gorgeous and interesting scenery but not to a bar. Turns out that Potash is a mining company not a town. :doh:
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

hogv8 wrote:Perv , Had the same thing happen once on a bike trip down it Kentucky except We hadn't gotten a room yet . Had to ride another 70 miles just to have a few cocktails after a long days ride . The things we do just for a couple drinks .

Jack
HOGV8
Last night we stayed in Holbrook AZ and visited a little bar called The Empty Pockets Saloon.
We started visiting with the Navajo Indian dude who explained he had to sneak off the reservation and drive 65 miles just to get a beer. This fucker was funny as hell and kept telling Deb I was texting my girlfriend and she should dump me for him. He must have been 70yrs old and was
a hoot. I really liked him until he mentioned he is an Obama supporter. Guess the fire water has just plain fucked up his brain.

....Johnston, Iowa
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

After spending several days around Moab we headed south on Hwy 191. There is just some phenomenal scenery in this neck of the woods! Like this arch.

And the trees in the fall are a beautiful contrast to the surrounding rocks.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

We decided to go to Natural Bridges National Monument and it was definitely worth stopping for!

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

From the Natural Bridges we took a hwy south toward Mexican Hat that tood us through an area called Moki Dugway. There was a 3 mile stretch of this road that was narrow, gravel and nothing but switchbacks! It was AWESOME!!

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

When we got to Mexican Hat it was lunch time so we stopped at a nice little restaurant that sits between the river and the rocks. Look where Ron decided to park MY trike!

We had a nice lunch and came out to find my trike was just fine, no rocks had fallen on it.
So we headed east from Mexican Hat and came upon this rock formation that is called The Navajo Twins.

More cool scenery.

This is a mural painted on the lobby wall in a hotel we stayed at in Blanding, UT.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

Next we headed for the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. Very pretty scenery.

Wildlife.

Indian Ruins.

Indian writings on the rocks near the ruins.

addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

After the Indian ruins we came to Newspaper Rock. It is a group of large rocks that has a lot of Indian writings on them. Very cool.

This is rock formations in the Petrified Forest.

This is a quartz bridge. There is a concrete support on the bottom of the bridge to help stabilize it due to cracking in the quartz.