Ron & Deb's Colorado Trip

road trips, adventures, hidden treasures?
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
addicted08

Ron & Deb's Colorado Trip

Post by addicted08 »

After we came home from Conesville we re-packed and headed out to Colorado. We usually don't get to CO until mid to late July so we decided to try late May, early June to see what it is like. It is beautiful as always.
addicted08

Re: Ron & Deb's Colorado Trip

Post by addicted08 »

However...we did find our way up into the mountains and went up so high that there was snow and the trees don't even have buds on them yet!

Look how high the snow drifts are. This was taken on May 31st. :o

At least it wasn't all snow covered scenery. Kind of looks like sand dunes doesn't it.

Here is a small tunnel we went through.

This is great scenery and a curvy road.

This pic shows the Million Dollar Highway. It has no shoulder to speak of and no guard rails! But it was the best route we have travelled so far.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

We saw this on the Million Dollar Highway (you definitely should put this ride on you bucket list). I thought it was a neat way to keep the snow melt off the roadway.

More awesome scenery from the Million Dollar Highway.

Proof that we were up really high.

We also came upon an old abandoned mining operation. There were even houses for the miners to stay in.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

We stopped in the little town of Delta to look around at the old houses and saw this. The garage is above ground but the rest of the house in in or under ground. Very strange looking.

We also went to Silverton and they have a lot of old buildings there. They have a very busy tourist town going on there. This is the City Hall. It says it was built in 1908. The other picture is the jail. It says it was built in 1883.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

More photos from Silverton.

This must be the way they build taxis where there is likely to be really big snow drifts and big rocks/boulders in the road.

I guess you never know what you might see in Colorado when riding all over the country side! These folks (one on a horse and one on a 4 wheeler) were moving cattle down the highway!

Again, more awesome scenery/strange rock formations.
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Thanks for the pictures, looks like you are having a great time! Don't wear yourselves out La Crosse is soon.

Shane
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

Well we are still in Colorado. Just can't get enough of these beautiful rides and scenery. It is amazing to see what mother nature has "designed". We see a lot of really interesting rock formations like this one.

Wildman told us that the Wolf Creek Pass is a really nice ride so we decided to check it out today. It did not disappoint! Awesome scenery and great roads. We even saw Chimney Rock. Here is a couple of different views of it.

Here are some more photos from Wolf Creek Pass. The waterfall was so much better than the photo shows.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

I made a new friend when we stopped to take pictures and admire the view. Isn't he cute?

Here is some more great scenery pics.

I always think the tunnels are amazing. Also the snow sheds are such a cool way to keep the snow, ice and water off the roadway.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

Here are some more pics taken on the Wolf Creek Pass and some wildlife that stopped to watch us go by. ;)
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Thanks for posting :) Gives me an idea what to do, as we are planning a trip to the area next year end of June.

Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
AR

Post by AR »

been too busy to think about it really but apparently i got tickets to be heading that way in a week or so & now you got me all juiced up about it...great pics and nice observations. Ya's should be V8Bikers travel consultants or sumpin.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

Thanks Aussie. I'm glad I could help get you all revved up about coming to Colorado. Maybe when we retire I will take up being a travel consultant as my new career. :D Safe travels. I will be looking forward to your reports from Colorado.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

Yesterday we went over Monarch Pass which is northwest of Gunnison. As we have come to expect the scenery was beautiful. But it always amazes me how much snow is still on the ground on the 3rd day of June!

We did manage to find a spot where there wasn't snow to take a short hike.
addicted08

Post by addicted08 »

We were also in Leadville yesterday. It is a really neat old style small town. I absolutely love the old buildings.

We stopped in to this Saloon for a drink and to check out the inside. It was phenomenal! I couldn't get any decent pics of the inside because it was pretty dark. So if you ever get the chance you gotta stop and see it!

Well that is it for us in Colorado. Gotta start working our way back to Iowa. Hope everyone enjoyed the pics and commentary and maybe you now have a destination for your summer vacation.
Puff

Post by Puff »

Ron and Deb,

We are all very wonderfully envious that you two
have the opportunity to travel as much as you do!
You are living for us when you share your pics !!!
Bill Van Sant