Hi

Welcome, Please introduce yourself to the members.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
NASA

Hi

Post by NASA »

My call sign is NASA. I live north of Seattle and have been riding for a number of years. I own 4 bikes (Harley Ultra,1800 Goldwing, 2004 Boss Hoss Zz4, and a Suzuki 1250S Bandit; of which I won't get on).

I ride for Iron Butt Association when I can get east or south across the passes...I don't do well in snow and ice.

A few years ago I started the Mill Creek Iron Butt Riders. I’ve taken “The Boss” on a number of Iron Butt rides and it works great.

Since Ron at Wild Rose retired and California Boss Hoss closed their service department, we don’t have a Boss Hoss mechanic/dealerships on the West Coast. My Harley Davidson mechanic does what he can for me, and I’m learning to do some of the basic service. It's been a real challenge, and if I didn't love to ride the bike so much, I'd sell it in a heart beat...it's a labor of LOVE and diminished bank accounts.

Feel free to drop me a note: Doug14209@yahoo.com
Last edited by NASA on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
AdvenJack
Location: Florida Between St. Pete & Weeki Wachee / Born in the Very Early 60's / Retired Jan. 2012

Re: Hi

Post by AdvenJack »

:welcome: Friend. I just joined a handful of days ago, from Florida's west
coast. Ever think of a Reverse trike configuration :?: They obviously can
be built to have a more upright, or even laid back operator position if de-
sired. ZERO OUT YOUR VOLUME :!: https://youtu.be/gsBYTA0OeOI?t=12s
Jack :ridding:
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Haltsdad wrote:My call sign is NASA. I live north of Seattle and have been riding for a number of years. I own 4 bikes, and a few years ago started Mill Creek Iron Butt Riders. Yes I’ve taken “The Boss” on a number of Butt rides and it works great. We don’t have a BH mechanic/dealership on the West Coast so I’m learning Boss Hoss Mechanics 101. I’m going to sell it and buy a BH trike. Feel free to drop me a note: Doug14209@yahoo.com
Welcome.

YES...you do have a Dealer to service you...and a GREAT Dealer!! Ron at Wildrose Boss Hoss in Oregon
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
oblongs

Post by oblongs »

Did Ron become a dealer again?
Fat people are harder to kidnap
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

oblongs wrote:Did Ron become a dealer again?
He did a huge move a year or so ago and downsized everything.

Last I talked to him he was still at least servicing Boss Hoss...he is listed on Boss Hoss dealer list

https://www.bosshoss.com/locator.asp?state=ALL

Wildrose Farm & Auto Service Center
Po Box 2353
LEBANON, OR 97355
CanuckHoss

NASA

Post by NASA »

CanuckHoss wrote:
Haltsdad wrote:My call sign is NASA. I live north of Seattle and have been riding for a number of years. I own 4 bikes, and a few years ago started Mill Creek Iron Butt Riders. Yes I’ve taken “The Boss” on a number of Butt rides and it works great. We don’t have a BH mechanic/dealership on the West Coast so I’m learning Boss Hoss Mechanics 101. I’m going to sell it and buy a BH trike. Feel free to drop me a note: Doug14209@yahoo.com
Welcome.

YES...you do have a Dealer to service you...and a GREAT Dealer!! Ron at Wildrose Boss Hoss in Oregon
Actually that is not true. Ron retired over two years ago, closed his shop in and moved to Lebonon, Ore. He has no desire to work on bikes as a regular diet. Second, it's a 6 hour drive, so by the time I rent a trailer, spend a few days in a hotel while the work in competed PLUS labor cost, a simple oil/transmission fluid change is $1000. I've already towed the bike to southern California to have Valadi work on it (Ex California Boss Hoss mechanic) and that was a $1500 trip.
NASA

Post by NASA »

CanuckHoss wrote:
oblongs wrote:Did Ron become a dealer again?
He did a huge move a year or so ago and downsized everything.

Last I talked to him he was still at least servicing Boss Hoss...he is listed on Boss Hoss dealer list

https://www.bosshoss.com/locator.asp?state=ALL

Wildrose Farm & Auto Service Center
Po Box 2353
LEBANON, OR 97355
Ron is listed as a dealer but he is NOT doing any major work on bikes. Work is out of his garage. He is retired from the business. He has no inventory and the facilities to do much more then very basic maintenance. For any major work, e.g bearings, brakes, etc, I'd have to either ship the bike or trailer it 6 hours to his home in Lebanon. The cost to ship is nearly a $1000 RT. Having a Boss Hoss in this area requires one to find a good HD mechanic that will risk working on the bike, and/or buying tools, finding the space, and finally acquiring the knowledge to do the mechanics.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I'd say you definitely better learn to do your own maintenance!
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Haltsdad wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:
Welcome.

Actually that is not true. Ron retired over two years ago, closed his shop in and moved to Lebonon, Ore. He has no desire to work on bikes as a regular diet. Second, it's a 6 hour drive, so by the time I rent a trailer, spend a few days in a hotel while the work in competed PLUS labor cost, a simple oil/transmission fluid change is $1000. I've already towed the bike to southern California to have Valadi work on it (Ex California Boss Hoss mechanic) and that was a $1500 trip.
I have known and dealt with Ron for over 16 years so I know him well and I know his place he sold very well. It was a great setup. I have chatted with him during the transition to his new place he built and he mentioned he was slowing down but did not mention to me that he was not doing any work at all on Boss Hoss.
CanuckHoss

NASA

Post by NASA »

I spoke with Ron yesterday. He expects to have some sort of a shop set-up by late spring of next year; although it appears he is more interested in working on his airplane....don't blame him. He stated he is NOT pursuing any new Boss Hoss customers and only plans to work on those bikes from customers he has known in past. He is retired. They are removing his business from the Boss Hoss website as a "Dealer and Service Center" He will not carry any bike inventory and from what I gather will probably be doing only minor repairs on the bikes, e.g. oil, transmission, brakes.
NASA

Post by NASA »

hogv8 wrote:I'd say you definitely better learn to do your own maintenance!
For sure. I've got the oil/filter part figured out. I've also replaced the spark plugs. Next step is to tackle the transmission fluid. I've purchased an engine hoist to lift the bike up high enough so I can get under it. I won't be doing any major service such as replacing tires, brakes, transmissions or bearings. I don't have the equipment, space or expertise. I'll need to find a mechanic or just sell the bike. It is in perfect condition.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Haltsdad wrote:I spoke with Ron yesterday. He expects to have some sort of a shop set-up by late spring of next year; although it appears he is more interested in working on his airplane....don't blame him. He stated he is NOT pursuing any new Boss Hoss customers and only plans to work on those bikes from customers he has known in past. He is retired. They are removing his business from the Boss Hoss website as a "Dealer and Service Center" He will not carry any bike inventory and from what I gather will probably be doing only minor repairs on the bikes, e.g. oil, transmission, brakes.
Cool..thanks for the info.

Do you know how to do a full transmission oil flush???
CanuckHoss

NASA

Post by NASA »

CanuckHoss wrote:
Haltsdad wrote:I spoke with Ron yesterday. He expects to have some sort of a shop set-up by late spring of next year; although it appears he is more interested in working on his airplane....don't blame him. He stated he is NOT pursuing any new Boss Hoss customers and only plans to work on those bikes from customers he has known in past. He is retired. They are removing his business from the Boss Hoss website as a "Dealer and Service Center" He will not carry any bike inventory and from what I gather will probably be doing only minor repairs on the bikes, e.g. oil, transmission, brakes.

When I spoke with Ron he recommended a transmission fluid called: HyTorque made by Hydratex out of Dallas Texas. Due to it's specialized properties, Boss Hoss was considering it as THE only transmission fluid for their bikes. Ron mentioned that in order for me to use this fluid I have to do a "complete" flush of the transmission...means running a hose up past/into the filter and running this "new" fluid through the system until ALL synthetic has been removed. I've never seen the inside of transmission much less removed the pan. My HD mechanic replaced the fluid about 5K ago and I'm in the process of having it replaced again. I doubt he knows how to flush a transmission...I know I don't. He drained the fluid, changed the filters and filled it back up.
NASA

Post by NASA »

The transmission fluid that Boss Hoss might consider using on all new bikes is called: HyTorque. Ron at Wild Rose knows a lot about the product and has used it extensively in numerous Boss Hoss transmissions. He apparently presented the product to Boss Hoss for consideration.

WEBSITE.

https://www.hydrotexlube.com/
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Haltsdad wrote:
For sure. I've got the oil/filter part figured out. I've also replaced the spark plugs. Next step is to tackle the transmission fluid. I've purchased an engine hoist to lift the bike up high enough so I can get under it. I won't be doing any major service such as replacing tires, brakes, transmissions or bearings. I don't have the equipment, space or expertise. I'll need to find a mechanic or just sell the bike. It is in perfect condition.
I've owned my 2000 SB for 18 years and it has never been worked on by anyone but me and I have done a lot of work on it and changed just about everything except the trans however I have done a few upgrades to the trans .
Pulling the wheels , changing wheel bearings and brake shoes is pretty straight forward , just take your time and do things step by step . Your engine hoist should be a big help for these repairs . Buy your own tires on ebay and take your wheels to a motorcycle shop for dismounting ,mounting and balancing . I do this type things in the off season . The more you do the more you learn .
Jack , HOGV8
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Haltsdad wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:

When I spoke with Ron he recommended a transmission fluid called: HyTorque made by Hydratex out of Dallas Texas. Due to it's specialized properties, Boss Hoss was considering it as THE only transmission fluid for their bikes. Ron mentioned that in order for me to use this fluid I have to do a "complete" flush of the transmission...means running a hose up past/into the filter and running this "new" fluid through the system until ALL synthetic has been removed. I've never seen the inside of transmission much less removed the pan. My HD mechanic replaced the fluid about 5K ago and I'm in the process of having it replaced again. I doubt he knows how to flush a transmission...I know I don't. He drained the fluid, changed the filters and filled it back up.
Never heard of that oil...even through Ron.

PM sent
CanuckHoss

NASA

Post by NASA »

hogv8 wrote:
Haltsdad wrote:
I've owned my 2000 SB for 18 years and it has never been worked on by anyone but me and I have done a lot of work on it and changed just about everything except the trans however I have done a few upgrades to the trans .
Pulling the wheels , changing wheel bearings and brake shoes is pretty straight forward , just take your time and do things step by step . Your engine hoist should be a big help for these repairs . Buy your own tires on ebay and take your wheels to a motorcycle shop for dismounting ,mounting and balancing . I do this type things in the off season . The more you do the more you learn .
Jack , HOGV8
Thanks. Yes, my HD mechanic of 12 years can do about 90% of the work for me which is great. He has the facility, tools, expertise and MY trust. He has just the one Boss to work on...MINE. He won't take any more as it's just a PITA to work on. "We've" done most of all the work necessary to get the bike flight ready; everything from new bearings, brakes, fuel pump, carb, wiring, lights, rotors, shocks, etc, etc. About $10,000 worth of parts and labor. He's doing the front forks, transmission and oil today. When or if it stops snowing, I should have the bike back next week; whereupon I'll brush paint the entire frame with Rust Stop high gloss. It gets wet out here so I'm being proactive. Only had it in the rain once.
AdvenJack
Location: Florida Between St. Pete & Weeki Wachee / Born in the Very Early 60's / Retired Jan. 2012

Post by AdvenJack »

hogv8 wrote: I've owned my 2000 SB for 18 years and it has never been worked on by anyone but me and I have done a lot of work on it and changed just about everything except the trans however I have done a few upgrades to the trans .

Jack , HOGV8
:what_he_said: A Very Encouraging Post :!: :!: :!:
hogv8 wrote: I've owned my 2000 SB for 18 years...

Jack , HOGV8

:yourock:

AND

Regarding working on your Boss Hoss bike...
hogv8 wrote: The more you do the more you learn .
Jack , HOGV8
:hmmmm: :goodidea: :thanks:
Jack :ridding: