DOWNFORCE SUSPENSION

Welcome, Please introduce yourself to the members.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
Dennis Richards

DOWNFORCE SUSPENSION

Post by Dennis Richards »

Hi everyone,
i'm new at this forum stuff, my 6-7-&- 9 year old grand kids are better than me.
I am just finishing my 2nd v-8 bike build with a twin turboed Ford motor. This one by accident or by fate has ended up with a patented suspension system on both front and back. The build is in it's 17th month and is just about finished. As soon as the weather lets up i will drive it to the weigh station to get weighed and start the custom bike registration process for New York state. I have already driven it around my 5 acre lot,and it is a breathtaking feeling.
I am still polishing the all SS frame and finishing the paint and cosmetics. When it is done I will post some pics.
In simple terms, when the bike tire hits a bump, the energy being absorbed thru the shock/ spring system actually pulls the seat/frame in a downward reduced motion instead of the usual upward spine jarring motion.
This suspension can be easily and less expensively be installed on ANY vehicle from motoecycles to cars,trucks snowmobiles, atv's and even Danica Patricks nascar.
[she,s too old for me!]
I am looking to sell the patent rights with liscenseing royalities to companies like the big three. I have already contacted them on their Ideas web sights,am still waiting to hear from Fords Idea team. I had a 5 year contract with GM , and i already suspect they will try to steel the idea based on their response.
I am looking for a patent marketing firm/company/person that has a track record with references, to retain in an effort to sell the patent.
Well I am going to try to post this now, here's at ya!
Dennis Richards
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: DOWNFORCE SUSPENSION

Post by Carl La Fong »

Well, I, for one, am curious. Hurry up with the pix
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Me Toooo
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Me three ... anxiously waiting pictures
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

ElsV8

Post by ElsV8 »

:picsorban:

.................... "Too Much Of A Good Thing Is Not Enough"

... Image
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Gents, With permission from Dennis, Here is the info and some updates/photos on his project:

Hi,
I own and operate a precision machine shop in Buffalo NY for 40 years now. In 2008, I got hooked on V8 Bikes. To keep it short, I built two Ford Mustang powered bikes since then. The first one is with a 4.6 liter with twin turbos, and the second is with the new Ford 5.0 liter with twin turbos. The second one I have developed a manual 4 speed transmission with reverse and a fly by wire manual clutch. The transmission is a all aluminum top mount Ford direct copy of the original Ford muscle car. I removed the tail shaft and housing and direct mounted a differential to the Ford gear box.

The total length is 19" and the total weight of the transaxle is 131 lbs. A dual drive chain system equally puts the power to the rear tire. Outstanding straight line acceleration. The cost for one of these transaxles would be 16,500.00 if anyone is interested.

Also, on the second [white] bike, I have developed a down force suspension that pulls the drivers seat and the triple tree down when the tires hit bumps. This is patented and I an currently starting to contact vehicle manufacturers to sell the patent.

Hi Guys,
Here's some close-ups of my final and working attempt at shifting a Ford top mount tranny with reverse using the red left foot pedal/rest to do the shifting It in conjunction with a linear action 12 volt actuator operated with my left index finger to do the clutching, it is finally working. I am able to pull forward in 1st gear, and then go from 1st gear to reverse in one motion with the red pedal, and gently back up. It has taken me a long time to get that working.

Maybe this week I will take it to some local abandoned roads to give the whole bike it's 1st test run for drivability and of coarse the downfroce suspension on bumps and potholes.
Will keep you tuned.
Denny Richards.
Attachments
df10.JPG
df9.JPG
df8.JPG
df6.JPG
df5.JPG
df3.jpg
df2.jpg
df1.JPG

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Some interesting stuff there.
Since Rangers were a no sell at two grand, I wonder who will pony up 16K for a trans. Time will tell, I suppose. If there was a normal, ratcheting motorcycle style shifter, as part of the package, it might sweeten the deal, but this is still going to be something for the very well heeled. The clutch setup is intriguing. I was advised to go with a linear actuator and a potentiometer for mine, but that's way above my skill set. My mechanical setup works very well and is pretty foolproof.
I'd like to know more about the front end. I'm no engineer, but I can't figure out how it works. It seems like there is about 2 feet of negative trail. If you ever tried to build a chopper out of your Stingray bike, as a kid, by sawing off a spare fork and jamming them onto your existing front end, you know the feeling. I suppose there's somet6hing that I'm not seeing, otherwise that setup will pitch you into the curb at any speed above 10 mph.
I sure would like to see that bike in person
Last edited by Carl La Fong on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Cool project, like John, I don't understand all of it, but can see you've put a lot of thought and work into it.
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Dennis -

How about an update? I'd like to see and hear how your build is going!

Dennis Richards

phpBB [video]
Dennis Richards

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Dennis Richards on Tue May 12, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Richards

V-8 BIKER PEOPLE,…
It is almost 2 years since my last info.
Sorry to all u people who responded to my first writing, but here is an update.

Back in 2013, my machine shop, after starting and running for 40 years began to suffer work wise. The lack of orders and skilled hard working people finally forced me to downsize to just myself.

It has been a tough time since then, in Jan 2014 i signed a contract with a industrial machinery auctioneer where I agreed to a buyout lot price for all my major machinery and tooling. I did well price wise and it was agreed that I could keep a substancial amount of toolmakers equipment, and also was allowed to buy back any machinery I so chose.

In summary, I am still in business under the same name and am doing occasional jobs for long time customers that make a PROFIT!! I am still in the same building and have it up for sale.

From the time I signed the contract to the time the last large machine left was 10 months. It was a long drawn out process but patience paid off. The building will be sold this year and I will pay rent here or move to something smaller.

Back to the Bike with the down force/decompression suspension, with all the downsizing I was going thru it got set back quite a bit. Also after I registered it and took my first test rides, there was much wrong with the bikes drivability. The suspension was/is an absolute success, but the clutch was a disaster.

The clutch is a 10000 RPM after market light weight 3 dics that requires 450-500 lbs of force to fully disengage and there is a minimum of 1.5 “ of travel needed to fully operate it. I spent insane amounts of time on numerous power assist options[fully hydraulic cylinder,fully fly by wire,etc] that just were to dangerous to drive.
I am back to a hand pulled cable type that utilizes a multiple linkage concept that I designed and built via trial and error,[ even I don’t fully understand why it works but it is drivable, only with slow shifting.] Needs more r&d

The 4 speed tranny was also a real challenge to shift. My first attempt at the sequential shifter just would NOT SHIFT!!! The foot linkage some how caused an instant binding when applying pressure. I gave up, and designed and built an H pattern foot shifter with three separate linkages, one for 1st & 2nd – one for 3rd & 4th & one for reverse. this works but not fast shifting yet.
the attached home videos r showing the bikes suspension and the driving on a rainy miserable October day.

it has had many improvements and plan to have better action videos soon. The suspension is the real purpose of this build.
B back sooner this time.
D,.Richards
Last edited by Dennis Richards on Tue May 12, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Richards

phpBB [video]
Dennis Richards

phpBB [video]
Dennis Richards

phpBB [video]
Dennis Richards

phpBB [video]
Dennis Richards

phpBB [video]
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Nice looking bike. Your skill set is way beyond anything I could ever hope for. High school metal shop classes, 50 years ago, a 90 year old lathe/mill and a smattering of metal working tools limits my abilities.
Although 4 or 5 videos of you moving the bike around the shop are very compelling, some closer, more detailed shots of the bike, especially the clutch and trans would be nice. I, also, spent a lot of time figuring out my clutch. The vacuum boost/mouse trap that I ended up with worked, and continues to work, very well. My two speed Ranger III trans is nearly perfect.
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Dennis -

Hey you have a working bike now, GREAT job! I'd like to see more details pics/video of suspension working. How did it handle on the road? Any twisty roads to run on? What kind of adjustments do you have as far as rebound/dampening? I'd also like to hear more about the engine you have stuffed in there ...

Don

PS Maybe your bike with with the "LaFong Ranger"? Be pretty badass stuff ...

Dennis Richards

Don,
I am pathetic at this forum stuff, if u get this ,let me know.
The suspension on the road handles and rides beyond belief. I was grinding the pegs last fall, but I had the bikes balance way off so didn't get any real safe evaluation time. am just finishing a whole lot of changes and our weather is great for May, might ride it tomorrow.
Dennis
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Dennis Richards wrote:Don,
I am pathetic at this forum stuff, if u get this ,let me know.
The suspension on the road handles and rides beyond belief. I was grinding the pegs last fall, but I had the bikes balance way off so didn't get any real safe evaluation time. am just finishing a whole lot of changes and our weather is great for May, might ride it tomorrow.
Dennis

Dennis -

No worries, your doing fine! I'm very intrigued with your design so I just have alot of questions - sorry about that! I'll be watching to see how your changes worked out, good luck. Any info you can feed us is appreciated. If you get out tomorrow for a spin ride safe!

Don

Dennis Richards

To Carl LaFong,

Hi Carl,
You mentioned a vacuum assist clutch lever,.. I tried two fully hydraulic systems and a fly by wire, they both were un - drivable. I have tought of a vacuum assist, but the motor is turbocharger and puts up to 14 psi of boost.
Can u tell me about your system,.. pics?

D. Richards
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I started a blog to document my Ranger III conversion. I's all here,
Go to November 6, 2008 for the details on the clutch mechanism or at the beginning for all of the sordid details and sub standard thoughts and observations.
Dennis Richards

Thank you Carl,
I will check it out, My multi-linkage cable system works, but hurts my fingers, am planning to go to Americade in june, will not mess with it till i get back.

Dennis
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I'll be glad to help in any way that I can, though after seeing what you've done I'm sure you can manage to improve upon my crude efforts