Resolved: Carbureted ZZ4 350 High Idle and Hard Starts

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
The Mindless Philosopher

Resolved: Carbureted ZZ4 350 High Idle and Hard Starts

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

Symptoms:
- Exhaust pops on quick deceleration
- High idle (1,200 RPM range instead of 800), and it wouldn't settle down
- Harder than usual starts (high quality, low mileage "Carburetor Mike" tuned Edelbrock 1901, so no reason this should occur)
- Mechanical knock (louder than a lifter tick) from the front right side of the engine block (Chevy ZZ4 350)

I first inspected the rubber vacuum plugs on unused carburetor ports and then checked the two vacuum lines: one to the choke and one to the distributor.

The carburetor stud bolts were tight, and the base plate gasket on the intake manifold was fine.

I was beginning to think it could be a bad intake manifold gasket on one of the cylinder heads or perhaps an exhaust manifold/header gasket leak until I checked the last of the low-hanging fruit and found the culprit...

Root cause: loose spark plug on cylinder 4.
Puff

Re: Resolved: Carbureted ZZ4 350 High Idle and Hard Starts

Post by Puff »

Whenever my ZZ4's exhaust pops on quick deceleration, I have found that replacing the plugs
with new ones takes care of that issue. And Adrian always suggested we gap new plugs at .035
not .045 like some do. :thumbup: :ridding: My bike is at 103,000 miles at the moment. Nov 2023
Bill Van Sant

The Mindless Philosopher

Re: Resolved: Carbureted ZZ4 350 High Idle and Hard Starts

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

Bill, my plugs are gapped at .045. I'll gap the next ones at .035. Thank you for the info!