Trike Cutting Off

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Mark G

Trike Cutting Off

Post by Mark G »

Hello V8 Bike riders.
Trike is cutting off. Trike will run normal until:
My indicator panel lights up, (P-R-N-D-2-1, and maybe 5-10 minutes after I notice that, the trike will cut off. I have to pull to the side of road, cut trike off and wait about 5-10 minutes and trike will start back up and run. (As long as the indicator panel is back to normal. Not all lights are on). If indicator panel is lit up, trike will not start up. Have to wait and cut trike on and off till indicator panel is normal. This may take 5-20 minutes.
I have a 2007 Carburetor 350 Trike. I have done the following to the best of my ability. I have check ground wires, fuses, fuel delivery problem, remove gas cap to vent tank. Last, I unhook the battery cable. I believe that I have some ground problem. I have no luck yet.
Need Help, Mark G
Don't tell me what you Can't Do .... Tell me what you Can Do.
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: Trike Cutting Off

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

This happened to me twice a few years back with my 2001 carbureted Boss Hoss '57 Chevy trike.

The first time was caused by a loose wire terminal on the bottom of the fuel pump. Vibrations were causing intermittent contact. I removed it, crimped is a wee bit, and then pushed it back onto the post. It was tough to narrow down because it seemed to be heat related, as the trike would usually start after sitting.

The second time this sort of thing happened, the culprit was a dry-rotted, broken fuel pump inline fuse housing (cylindrical twist-type). When the housing would warm up, it would separate and break end-to-end connection with the fuse. After shutting down, the trike would start again after the fuse housing cooled off and it contracted, restoring the connection. Once I figured out what was happening, I replaced the inline fuse housing with a clamshell type with wafer fuse.

I hope this gives you some helpful ideas.