Resolved: Remove Stubborn King Cobra 7" Headlight Trim Ring

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
The Mindless Philosopher

Resolved: Remove Stubborn King Cobra 7" Headlight Trim Ring

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

I recently replaced the bulb in my King Cobra 7" diameter headlight assembly. The primary dress-up ring is concealed and is not external to the bucket. After removing the tiny set screw from underneath the bucket, trying to press my thumbs against the ring to force it to turn was an exercise in futility even after applying a liquid wrench type product and waiting a while.

After a little digging, I ran across a web page containing tips and tricks for removing stubborn headlight rings. One of the suggestions was to apply two-sided 3M tape at 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the ring and then press against the tape and turn. It worked like magic. No resistance at all.

This particular headlight assembly has a primary inner retaining ring behind the outer dress-up ring. The narrower inner ring holds the headlight glass. 3M would not work on this because the usable area is too small. Fortunately, it contains small, drilled holes. I used an Allen wrench to spin the ring.

So there you have it: two-sided 3M tape and a tiny Allen wrench. Don't claw your headlight ring to death with a screwdriver and hammer like I've seen people do.
Attachments
Headlight Disassembled.jpg
Headlight Bucket.jpg