valve cover gaskets

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Lmbrier

valve cover gaskets

Post by Lmbrier »

I searched this tech forum for 'valve cover gaskets' and got 0 search results. seems off b/c I ordered and received GM factory 5.7l gaskets for center bolt covers for my 2000 sb 350 which are too short in length by ROUGHLY 1.25 inches. the dyersburg dealer parts guy says he thinks the short gaskets are stretched and contact cemented in place with clamps overnight then quickly installed. he also indicated that the aluminum heads should be GM performance heads. where in h*** do you find gaskets that FIT GM performance heads that don't have to be stretched, glued, and clamped?? has no one else had this issue or do we all just use glue and clamps? I suppose I should stock up on baling wire, duct tape, chewing gum, etc. for other repairs. :frustrated: Lincoln
Ravinsomniac

Re: valve cover gaskets

Post by Ravinsomniac »

Take one of your valve covers into a local Auto Parts Store and get the correct size.
It should lay completely flat in the valley around all the sides. If they say it has to be stretched or cut to size, it obviously is not the right size gasket.
Lmbrier

Post by Lmbrier »

I AGREE.
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

On the other site I found 2 answers for your question:

Posted 2007:
I just today put on new valve cover gaskets, the Felpro number is 1648 for the cork and rubber with steel middle. I checked out several types. I liked the Moroso perma-lign that was steel with rubber vulcanized both sides but they dont make it for center bolt valve covers. I couldnt find anyone else that did either and I checked Jegs and Summit. The Fel-pros worked great. Napa told me they are going to be handling Fel-pro in about a month.

and another one:
I use GM valve cover gaskets. Any 350 engine in the trucks from 87 to 98 should be the correct gaskets(several other vehicles and years would also be included). GM gaskets are rubber.

I hope that helps...
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Lmbrier

Post by Lmbrier »

so the eBay chinese gaskets (18 5/8) are 1 inch shorter than the BH trough (19 5/8) and must be stretched and glued in place on our covers because the inside trough lip is too short to hold them in place. A gm factory rocker cover has a tall inside trough lip that will hold the knockoff gaskets in place. o'rielly has Fel-Pro VS50293R (1 gasket) or VS50088R (2 gaskets) which are only 1/2 inch shorter than the trough and will stay in place in the BH rocker cover.
Lmbrier

Post by Lmbrier »

my local o'rielly did not have the Fel-Pro 1648 in house today and I think this number is made of cork. I prefer the rubber ones which are the numbers in the previous post.
Lmbrier

Post by Lmbrier »

I stretched and glued the rubber gasket letting it cure under some pressure for 48 hours and it’s staying in the trough. Now have to get the timing correct after a new head gasket.