coolant temp sensor

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Zepman

coolant temp sensor

Post by Zepman »

Hi all,

Took her out today and after a short refreshment stop I noticed the 'thermometer' light on in the dash. I was surprised as I'm always scanning the temp guauge - checked and it was 175 and as I have wired in a trans temp sensor, trans was 155 - strange...

Also with engine running, or not, the light only lights in Neutral, as soon as you engage a gear it goes out. Temps rose when in town to 190 and a quick fan override knocked it back to 180 in 2 minutes.

The light going out in gear makes me think faulty sensor/wiring.

Any ideas guys?

Edit: went back to it when a bit cooler (reading 130 degrees) and no light :banghead:

I can't figure out how to get a phoot on here, I don't have any photo sharing setup
Zepman

Re: coolant temp sensor - correction trans temp light

Post by Zepman »

Update: I have found a one sentence entry in "the big book" that this is the transmission temperature warning light. It was on when the trans was at 155, and I know the guage is working fine so I suspect electrical gremlins.

I guess the wiring block coming out of the rear of the trans is oily and the neutral connection is sending power to the temp light connection. That would explain the light switching off every time I changed gears and then back on in Neutral. My trans connector plug has history in this department - after 3-4 hours riding the 2nd gear light comes on no matter what gear I'm in - it corrects when the bike cools. I cleaned it out the first few times happened but don't bother these days as you have to take the fender off to clean it properly. Maybe it's telling me it's time for a good clean out.

But if you guys have any views I'd be grateful
Zepman

Re: coolant temp sensor

Post by Zepman »

Update: cleaned out the trans connector - problem gone.