Carb rebuild.

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
knockdolian

Carb rebuild.

Post by knockdolian »

Hi all. Hoping there are people all over carbs and can advise. My carb is leaking. I’ve had a hydro lock a couple of times and fuel sitting on top of the manifold. I’ve bought a rebuild kit for 1901 carb. Problem is my carb doesn’t look like any of the edelbrocks I’ve seen on you tube. Can someone confirm this is the 1901
Also operating the secondary’s with the carb upside down the doors open fully. With the carb turned right way up they don’t open. Any ideas or am I missing something ?
Thanks
Attachments
92474ABA-5FCA-41E2-8DC7-35E63C037707.jpeg
70CDC707-4BE7-4453-B72F-CB7E689BE5F2.jpeg
858103AB-379B-44CA-A128-54DEDC2C90E3.jpeg
hogv8

Re: Carb rebuild.

Post by hogv8 »

That's a 1901 , too bad you can't send it to Carb Mike for the stage II rebuild/ modifications. It will feel like you gained 50 hp .
'
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

hogv8 wrote:That's a 1901 , too bad you can't send it to Carb Mike for the stage II rebuild/ modifications. It will feel like you gained 50 hp .
'
Thanks, been in touch with Edlebrock and they confirmed it. I wasn’t sure because I have the 1920 rebuild kit and the base gasket was different to mine. They said the kit covers a couple of carbs so there will be gasket cut outs that are obsolete. It also doesn’t help that Edlebrock bought out a later 1901 that’s completely different to the old (my one)
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Honestly, do yourself a favor and trash that thing. Many of us have had many problems and issues. I, as well as others, have gone with the QuickFuel carb which is under the Holley company. Easy to adjust and tune, flawless operation with no issues, also, whatever carb you decide to go with, ask them to include a “one to one” linkage adjustment. It’s simply a little bent metal piece that connects the primary and secondaries. It makes all 4 open at the same time. It will really wake your trike up. You’ll thank me later. :mrgreen:

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

It makes all 4 open at the same time. It will really wake your trike up. You’ll thank me later. :mrgreen:[/quote]
Ha, thanks for the advice Bill, I’ll look into that. Unfortunately it’s cost. I’m poor. The carb I have is problematic but I think it’s more down to fuel what with all the shit they put in it nowadays. I’ve done a lot of reading and watching you tube. Learnt a lot. I’ve got a rebuild kit and ultrasonic cleaner. Just waiting on a new float. If after all that I still have issues then I will look at your recommendation. I don’t have LSD on my trike so even if I could light up the back end it would only be one wheel. Not very impressive.
Thanks
Zepman

Post by Zepman »

Have you thought of a Holley double pumper, maybe the 4150. I know zip about fitment on your manifold, others on here might, but BH used Holleys for years. Mine's flawless, it's a 750 as mine has the high lift cam etc. but I am told 650 is fine in normal circumstances. There are a few used ones available from time to time.

Manual secondaries with a custom shorter (i.e. carefully bent) linkage rod means all 4 come in early and Bill's right, you really feel it when all 4 squirt the juice in.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks zepman, I’ll look and see what’s available