ZZ4 Starter Wires Question

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
The Mindless Philosopher

ZZ4 Starter Wires Question

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

Last night I replaced my ZZ4's starter while 3 sheets to the wind. No biggie. Easy job. EXCEPT... Something seems a little goofy with the wires. It doesn't help that I didn't think to photograph the arrangement before I started work.

I could have sworn the starter had an even distribution of 3 wires each on the two screw posts on the side of the starter body, but when I consider the size of the terminal eyelets, logically, the distribution should be 2 and 4. The no-brainers are the battery cable and two other cables that I distinctively remember removing from the large brass-colored screw post (1/2" nut) on the side of the starter body. If I recall, those wires were all in red insulation.

I also recall removing the 2 smaller wires with tiny eyelets from the small black screw post (1/4" nut). One had red insulation and the other black.

I was left with one oddball that I couldn't remember to which post it was connected. It was a black wire that had a large eyelet terminal. I can't think of the wire's gauge off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it was the same as the wires with the tiny eyelets. (I know, super technical and informative, huh? I'm nowhere near the trike right now.) Anyhow, I can't imagine trying to sandwich that big eyelet between the two smaller eyelets on that tiny screw post and hope it will actually stay in place. Good sense tells me that it came off of the large screw post, but the 2 and 4 arrangement bothers me. (I hope I haven't confused you.)

All this malarky said...

Is there anyone out there with an early model ZZ4 (my Hoss is a 2001) equipped with a regular ignition switch and an auxiliary direct-connect starter button who can take a look at the wire leads coming off their starter to verify placement and/or post a photo? I might end up having to remove some conduit and physically trace wires and/or use a multimeter to sort it out. I figured I'd start here first. The last thing I need is to cook my replacement starter.

Thank you.
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: ZZ4 Starter Wires Question

I doubt this helps, but here's a visual...
Attachments
20201012_193859.jpg
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

All my 06 wires are black - sorry I can't help.
Attachments
DSCN0012.JPG
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
The Mindless Philosopher

HA! Yeah, I'm gonna have to trace these things. No biggie. That's how it goes. I'm fairly confident they are on the right screw posts though, based on the sizes of the terminals.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Should only be one smaller gauge wire on the small post from the start switch. On the big post, the battery hot wire and anything with a permanent live such as to the ignition switch
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Do you have a wiring diagram
Attachments
Not sure if you have this or not
Not sure if you have this or not
The Mindless Philosopher

Excellent! No, I definitely don't have a wiring diagram. I'm pretty sure one of the extra pair of wires is coming from the starter bypass switch. The third pair might have something to do with that remote continuous duty solenoid/relay thing (I can't remember the exact name) that's mounted on the frame behind the fuse block.

Thank you!
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:Excellent! No, I definitely don't have a wiring diagram. I'm pretty sure one of the extra pair of wires is coming from the starter bypass switch. The third pair might have something to do with that remote continuous duty solenoid/relay thing (I can't remember the exact name) that's mounted on the frame behind the fuse block.

Thank you!
This diagram is for my 96. I haven’t got a continuous cycle thingy.
The Mindless Philosopher

knockdolian wrote: This diagram is for my 96. I haven’t got a continuous cycle thingy.
I wish mine didn't have one. It's wired up like an octopus, and it never lasts for very long.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Fortunately or unfortunately I had a bit of a fire so retired the whole thing. What does the thingy do anyway ?
The Mindless Philosopher

I don't know its purpose, to be honest. I've never owned a Chevy 350 automobile with one of these continuous duty golf cart solenoids, so I don't know why my Chevy 350 trike has one. At first, I thought it was a remote starter solenoid, but no.
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

2001-2002 Main Harness
Attachments
(16)_2001-2002 Main Harness.pdf
2001-2002 Main Harness
(83.08 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
2008 606 Corvette Trike
The Mindless Philosopher