Fan relay

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
hogv8

Fan relay

Post by hogv8 »

Has anyone ever heard of a fan relay working intermittently. I have my cooling fan wired thru a relay and a breaker . Somehow it seems like the fan is losing power during hot riding and won't run . I also have a overide switch so I can switch the fan on manually . When the bike gets hot like 210 degrees the f a n doesn't run or will it turn on manually by the switch . After the bike cools off both the manual switch and the thermostat switch works fine . Any ideas .

Thanks Jack
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: Fan relay

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

The only thing I can think of is overheating wires, unless the cooling fan's sending unit in the intake manifold is starting to die?
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:The only thing I can think of is overheating wires, unless the cooling fan's sending unit in the intake manifold is starting to die?
Thanks , I did recently replace the fan thermostat switch , could be a faulty switch which could be possible but I will replace the fan relay with new and a new breaker and see what happens . Fortunately I installed a seperate fan switch that is connected directly to the hot side of the fuse box and by passes the relay and the thermostat switch so I can turn the fan on in an emergency .
Lmbrier

Post by Lmbrier »

Jack, I had similar problems and I mounted the fan switch in the block low on the left side b/t the first 2 cyls to ensure there is always water on the switch. the position on top of the intake made me wonder whether low 'coolant' level could render the switch inop. Lincoln
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Relays can go bad. They can click when powered up but the contacts inside can be bad. Try a new relay