Fuse Block and Relays

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
BossHossMan

Fuse Block and Relays

Post by BossHossMan »

I have been having some intermittent issues with my 2012 BH being completely dead for a few seconds after turning the key on. I decided to change out the 5 relays on the fuse block just to make sure that the “System Relay” and the “Starter Relay” are okay. My relays are Omron Electronics G8V-1C7T-R-DC12.

Here is the problem. Omron has discontinued all these types of relays due to a low volume of sales. I am sure there are substitutes out there somewhere but if you want to keep using the same manufacturer the prices are kind of crazy. About $30 each. I did find one supplier that has some of these relays in stock for a fair price. Onlinecomponents.com has them for $3.79 each with a minimum of 10 units and shipping of $9.00. You might want to consider ordering some while you can.

Anyone else have this kind of problem?
Last edited by BossHossMan on Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knockdolian

Re: Fuse Block and Relays

Post by knockdolian »

May not be of any use in the US but here in the UK I have always got my relays from scrap, breakers yards. Every time I go for a car part I’ll grab a handful. Just a thought
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

knockdolian wrote:May not be of any use in the US but here in the UK I have always got my relays from scrap, breakers yards. Every time I go for a car part I’ll grab a handful. Just a thought
:badtothebone:
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Yes I have had your exact problem on last 2014 BH 57 trike. It most likely IS the system relay as you suggest. Also I have found that in the heavy duty main relay, the 100 amp one, the copper disc contact bar will get pitted and cause a lower voltage reading on your gage. I replaced it with a silver coated contact model. And don't forget to use a diode across the holding coil.
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Hi Craig,
It's nice to hear from you and I hope you are well. I completed replacing the relays including the 100 amp main relay. I guess time will tell whether or not the intermittent problem is resolved.
Question: What is the purpose of putting a diode across the holding coil?
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Update: After replacing the System Relays (5) and the Starter Relay everything seems to be working fine.
Lmbrier

Post by Lmbrier »

I'm with bosshossman. hey Craig why the diode? i've self-wired a whole lotta relays and never needed a diode. your reply suggests across the plus and minus relay coil leads? teach me sumpin. Lincoln
Lmbrier

Post by Lmbrier »

I once ordered 10 or 20 eBay 40 amp relays for $0.75 each. Just checked and found 40 amp including wire harness and free shipping lot of 5 for $10.45. Thats $2.09 each. And just found 100 amp with harness and freight for $7.56. Lincoln.