Peculiar Brake Leak

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
The Mindless Philosopher

Peculiar Brake Leak

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

My Hoss has been sitting up on blocks since October, in need of another truckload of minor but costly repairs. Tonight, I discovered the left front caliper is leaking from the piston side facing the rotor. It's a DOT5 rated Wilwood assembly that's about 5 years old with maybe 10-15K miles. I had the caliper off the trike last summer so that I could clean grime from the pistons. I used warm water with dish soap and a toothbrush. Is it possible I damaged it somehow, or is it more likely some more of the desert got up in there? It's puzzling that has mysteriously sprung a leak just sitting there. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace some things. I'll add brake parts to my growing list.
rocketsteve

Re: Peculiar Brake Leak

Post by rocketsteve »

Another clean / dry off and light dusting with Talc or chalk powder might show exactly where it's leaking from...
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
The Mindless Philosopher

The more I mull this over in the ole gray noodle, the more I consider the ultra-slick properties of silicone-based DOT5. If there's even the slightest hint of a possibility, it will find a way to leak past seals. I can't help but wonder if the piston seals have grown cold enough from sitting that they've contracted just enough to let the fluid seep past? Maybe regular use keeps the caliper's piston seals warm enough even if sitting overnight or for a week, that they remain expended to a slightly higher degree? Maybe this is just wishful thinking because I really don't want to replace what are basically new brakes again? But it is flaky that they would start leaking after months of inactivity. At least the rear brakes are still solid. They actually provide the stopping power with considerably more contact patch from that pair of 10 inch wide tires out back. The trike doesn't need the front brakes, but I don't like the idea of being without them.
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Call the factory and get a rebuild kit for them. It's not that expensive.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
The Mindless Philosopher

Sounds good. Thank you.