Transmission shift shaft seal leak

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Zepman

Transmission shift shaft seal leak

Post by Zepman »

Hi all,

(Straight away off topic-ing) I have had trouble with a Pururator oil filter leaking, no matter how many times I hand tighten it, it weeps enough to blacken the left exhaust pipe. I am about to change the filter anyway (K&N 3002) as part of my 5,000m service and that should fix it, but noticed when cleaning the filter a weep at the shift shaft lever. Enough for a wet shaft and 1 drip on the end of the shaft after 300miles or so.

I got 2 new seals - 0.750 OD and 0.500 ID by 0.12 deep. - advice from an old thread told me these will do but they are so small I am wondering how to best remove the old one which is only a 1/4" seal face area. Any tips? I don't expect I can use the old "drive 2 screws into the face technique and pull them out with the seal".
Orlando606VetteTrike

Re: Transmission shift shaft seal leak

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

1. Removed shift linkage from shift shaft arm.
2. Remove shift shaft arm from shift shaft.
3. The seal housing should have 2 flat on it. Use appropriate sized tool to unscrew the seal housing from the trans housing. Slide off shaft.
---NOTE: Pay attention to shift shaft before installing new seal. The shaft can have burrs on it from the shift arm retaining screws. Smooth out with small file if burrs are present.
4.Replace seal in removed seal housing. Lube seal and apply a piece of plastic over shaft, lube plastic, then slide seal & housing over shaft.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Sonny

Re: Transmission shift shaft seal leak

Post by Sonny »

I replaced mine several years ago. Got the seals from MBH for just a cuppla dollars. Easy job and bone dry ever since.
2009 350/385 MBH bike