Fuel Filter Change Questions

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
BossHossMan

Fuel Filter Change Questions

Post by BossHossMan »

IMG_0597.jpg
I am in the process of doing a 20K mile routine on my 2012 BH Trike with the 485 HP engine. One of the routines is to change the fuel filters at 500 miles and then every 2500 miles thereafter. I suspect they have never been changed so I purchased the new filters and when I went to make the change I couldn’t believe how they are jammed in under the frame below the ECM unit. Do you guys change these on a regular basis? Is there some kind of a written procedure so I don’t end up burning up my trike and my house?
rocketsteve

Re: Fuel Filter Change Questions

Post by rocketsteve »

You should be able to position the in-line canister filter wherever you want it - just buy some new fuel line and cut it to length so the filter is a few inches back from the tap.

I remove mine once a year, let it dry out for a day then tap any junk out of the inlet end.
Attachments
Golan01.JPG
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
Puff

Post by Puff »

BossHossMan,

Before I turn wrenches on replacing my bike's
fuel filter, I disconnect the negative battery cable.
This way, there is no chance of a spark setting
the bike on fire. I change my fuel filter, and the
in-line transmission fluid filter yearly.
Maybe overkill, but I am okay with that.

Puff Bill
Bill Van Sant

BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Well I finished changing these two filters (disconnected the battery first). The filter before the fuel pump was not too bad to change and when I cut it in half it was not that dirty. On the other hand the filter after the fuel pump was a nightmare to change, manly because of its location. I was thinking that this will be the first and last time I ever change this filter. And then i cut it in two. It was so bad I can't believe fuel even passed through it even though the fuel had already passed through the other filter. Check out the picture. And here is the weird thing, the engine runs much smoother with the new filters installed. Well there is one more thing that you might all want to check out. The left hand rear bolt that holds the gas tank on is way too long. The return fuel line crosses behind that bolt and when the bolt is installed, it crushes the fuel line against the frame and prevents the fuel from returning to the tank properly. My line was damaged enough that I had to change it. Bottom line is that I will be changing these filters on a regular basis from now on.
IMG_0606.jpg
Last edited by BossHossMan on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Do you think the crude in the after fuel pump filter
MAY be dirty from the fuel pump that was going bad???

Paul H
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Hi Paul,
The fuel pump is fine so I think the crud is completely from the fuel and whatever crud ends up in the gas tank. The fuel line I changed is the one that goes from the fuel pump back to the gas tank.