Reserve tank possible leak

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Reserve tank possible leak

Post by CanuckHoss »

Anyone ever heard of the Reserve Tank on a trike springing a leak????
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
mmaupin

Re: Reserve tank possible leak

Post by mmaupin »

Good old fashion duct seal works wonders to seal gas tank leaks. https://www.lowes.com/pd/gardner-bender ... 6MQAvD_BwE
Regards,

Mark

BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

I had a clamp on the top of the reserve tank that connected the tank to the filler tube get loose which caused a leak when the tank was full. Hopefully your fix is as easy as mine was.
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Barry, by any chance does this trike have a tilt body? If so, I personally would take the tank out of the trike and have the leak repaired by a professional welder who can TIG weld aluminum. Just my two cents. If not, mmaupin's idea sounds good. I never heard of duct seal. This might be a good product to keep on hand in my tool box that I stow in the trunk of my trike for emergencies on the road.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I am still testing . Sunday it leaked twice while the trike was sitting and the Reserve was pretty full except had not leaked for days sitting in my garage full. Then I drove a couple miles and parked and it leaked again so I pumped all the Reserve up to the Main to empty it. I then put in only 5 Lires which is a littke over half a Reserve and it did not leak. Weather has been shitty for me to try 7 litres and see if it leaks. Will try hopefully soon. Thanks guys
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Barry, you may remember a couple of months back I thought I had a leak in the reserve. It was the change over valve. Fuel from the main tank was leaking in to the reserve tank causing it to over fill and leak from the vent. Just a thought.
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Barry, are you sure it is the tank and NOT the vent hose leaking? The BH Factory advertises that the reserve tank has a 3.5 US gallon capacity. This is true. BUT, if you put 3.5 US gallons into the reserve tank it will leak out the vent hose. I've been putting 3.2 US gallons into the reserve tank ever since I figured this out almost immediately after owning the trike, and haven't had any issues since. You probably already know about this. Anyway, good luck to you!