I need advice for my (to be) V8 trike design

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
FordBluBlood

I need advice for my (to be) V8 trike design

Post by FordBluBlood »

TO THE MEMBERS; THIS POST MAY BE TOO LONG AND HARD TO UNDERSTAND, IF SO WAIT FOR THE DRAWINGS MIGHT BE EAISER TO UNDERSTAND!

Hello all! I am new to the trike world but have rode two wheel bikes for decades until I had a catastrophic MVA which ended my two wheel riding.....I built my own two bikes except for the engines fork and blade lower ends and some valve jobs, they were all HD's except for one Norton 750.

BUT I am ready for a V8. If I have to ride a three wheeler I an sure a V8 will satisfy my adrenaline addiction . I have a nice 2004 sportster engine that will be sold (HINT HINT) to start getting some money to begin. Anyway, you'all' seem to be experts on vee eight engine trikes/bikes and I have a question that no one can answer. Or someone will answer with an obvious guess instead of factual info.

The trike as I said ins just in the dream stage aka the conceptual stage. It will be built very small, compact, with a drastically narrowed (and open) differential. That diff is where the question lies. First a little more info; the frame neck probably won't be stretched or raked but if it is the rake or stretch will very little. To get a visual I want to nearly sit on the bellhousing or trans (automatic if any). If its possible as I mentioned I want the differential an open diff (non limited slip) and narrowed to 36" !

Of course my worries are flipping over as in a roll over due to the very narrow non IRS differential.
I want my trike to look something like the beautiful flathead ford engine trike that made the rounds a few years ago. Sometimes I see the ford engine trike in a motorcycle magazine or on the web even today. Have I given you all enough info to tell me if it would be wildly and inherently unstable due to its very narrow diff? If this wordy post is not enough info I am beginning a few (non-mechanical) drawings to allow you all to visualize it and the drawings will show where the major lumps go.

Orrr...if a member knows of any trike photos with such a design let me know? I know it may not happen, my trike I mean, especially if the VA doesn't come through with two to four years of medical expenses back pay. I paid out of pocket about 450 bucks a month It will stay in dream stage! Anyway don't kill the newbie for such a mess!
Imzz4

Re: I need advice for my (to be) V8 trike design

Post by Imzz4 »

If you want to build your trike with a certain look that fits just what you have pictured, then I'd say go for it. You'll have to adapt to any handling limitations it will have , just be ready for it.
The outsides of my tires are 63" inches apart and I'm pleased with the ride. Make sure you get the trail right the first time. I ended up buying trees with more rake.
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Imzz4 wrote:If you want to build your trike with a certain look that fits just what you have pictured, then I'd say go for it. You'll have to adapt to any handling limitations it will have , just be ready for it.
The outsides of my tires are 63" inches apart and I'm pleased with the ride. Make sure you get the trail right the first time. I ended up buying trees with more rake.

your correct!!! Trail is very important. Mine had to be redone, it was way off.
Norm
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Norm,

PM sent on another subject
Regards,

Mark