Headlight mount failure!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
IowaV8

Headlight mount failure!

Post by IowaV8 »

A few years ago I installed a TrukLite LED headlamp on my bike and I believe the housing is a Headwind or similar type housing. The housing was on the bike when I bought it. This lamp is a bit heavy and after two years of riding, I was on a rough road coming back from a ride when suddenly the whole housing and mount pulled loose from the tree and dangled by the wiring, also scratching my front fender. The chrome countersunk style bolts only went into the tree about 1/4 inch! When it came out it stripped the threads so no just bolting it back on. I have a "real" hardware store near me that carries all kinds of screws, nuts, and bolts and as luck would have it they had the same style chrome bolts in longer lengths. The holes in the tree were already drilled deeper, so I tapped them and the bolts I got now go into the tree about 3/4 inch so I don't look for that to happen again. If you have one of these or something similar that's a bit heavy, it might pay you to check how long the bolts are and see if you can find some longer ones so this doesn't happen to you. As far as the light, I like it a lot and it throws out a much better light than the original.