Balancing beads

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
hogv8

Balancing beads

Post by hogv8 »

I just installed a new 260-18 Metzler rear tire and instructed the tire mounting guy to dump in 3oz plastiic bag of beads which I provided . When I picked up the newly mounted tire I asked if he put the beads in and he said he did . Mounted the wheel and went for a ride and noticed when slowing down to about 40 mph the back wheel seemed to have a slight bounce but was Smoot as silk at all other speeds . Now I'm wondering if the tire guy threw the whole bag of beads in the tire instead of opening the bag and dumping the beads in and is that what's causing the 40 mpH bounce . If he did now I'm wondering how long it will take for the bag to wear open and distribute beads or if it will ever will wear open .
Paul H

Re: Balancing beads

Post by Paul H »

Why not ask the tire guy IF he opened the bag???

Paul H
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Some of the tire balancing bead bags are meant to go in the tire as a packet, then as the tire heats up they break apart.

Had those on my truck. Shook like hell for the first 4 or 5 miles then smooth after that.

If it is not a bad imbalance, give it a nice 30 or 40 mile ride at highway speed and see what happens.
Regards,

Mark

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I Jack up the rear end and let the rear tire spin , it's out of round at least 1/2" . Bought it new on Ebay so I'm probably screwed but regardless it needs to be replaced . Guess I'd better go to Tire rack . Hopefully have better luck . Fuck !!
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Got to tire replaced under warranty.
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

That is good. I have had the same issue with Avon 300's as well; just ran it though. Could see some scallops as the tire wore.
Regards,

Mark

Paul H

Post by Paul H »

When I worked at the local Suzuki shop
we had a customer come in that had
a new tire bought and installed at another
dealer. He said that it was out of balance.
We went out to check it out. Back then
all bikes had a center stand. We brought
the bike in and put it up on the center
stand and put it in gear. It appeared the
the tire was out of round big time.
A closer look told us that the tire's bead
was not seated all the way around the rim.
A little spray of Zep-preserve and the tire
bead pooped right out where it should be.
Problem solved, NO charge to the customer.

Paul H
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Well when I dismounted the problem tire to mount the new warranty tire guess what I found , a full unopened 3oz bag of balancing beads . The asshole that originally mounted the tire insisted that he opened the bag and dumped the beads in the tire was full of shit . I went back and read the riot act to him and all he could say was that he was sorry . Anyway the new warranty tire is mounted and rides fine but as you guys know it's not a easy task to change a tire twice . I used to dismount and mount my tires myself , I guess I'm going to have start doing it again because it seems you can't trust anyone anymore unless you stand there and watch their every move .
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Sorry you had those problems. I too hate it when I have to hire anything done. Too many possibilities.
Regards,

Mark

rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Good to see you found the cause Jack, that fitter needs a good :whack:

I always take the wheel in and watch over these tire fitters while they do the job.
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.