Ignition module

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
knockdolian

Ignition module

Post by knockdolian »

Hi all, given the luck I’ve had lately with the trike I thought I’d carry an ignition module in my tool bag. Again knowing very little about these distributors I thought I’d ask the community. As they seem to vary so widely in price is there a recommendation or one to avoide. I’m drawn to Accel as I’ve used there parts many times befor on Harley’s and always found them to be good quality but at £50 the most expensive. Any advice as always appreciated.
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: Ignition module

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

My experience with those has been you get what you pay for. I don't know if Accel is still made in the USA, but the off brands I have purchased from Mexico and China to save a few bucks have rapidly bitten me in the butt if they even worked to begin with. I went through several of them before biting the bullet and paying the pretty penny for known quality.

When you get a worthwhile module, inspect it every handful of months to make sure the insulating compound is still good. If not, spread on a fresh coat. I use Arctic Silver 5. It costs a mint for a wee tube but again, you get what you pay for.

I'm not sure because I don't have one yet, but I think a MSD A6 unit bypasses that flaky little GM module and it a better long-term solution if you're willing to fork out the cash.
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Good planning, I blew mine at home (long story...) and replaced it with a cheap £10 Chinese Ebay unit which works fine. I keep a spare on the bike.

I also ordered the US one (£50) and plan to fit it when I get the bike out the bag.

By the way, Gordon says the £50 one is better as he doesn't need to blip the throttle prior to cold starts any more, don't know how that's made the difference...
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

[quote="The Mindless Philosopher"]My experience with those has been you get what you pay for. I don't know if Accel is still made in the USA, but the off brands I have purchased from Mexico and China to save a few bucks have rapidly bitten me in the butt if they even worked to begin with. I went through several of them before biting the bullet and paying the pretty penny for known quality.

Thanks for the information. I have to disagree with you ref you get what you pay for. If I look on eBay there are several in the uk for about £40-50 that look exactly like the Chinese £10 One’s. Read in to that what you will. I take onboard what you say about renewing the grease. You say you bought a qualitiy one in the end. Do you remember the make, part number ?
Thanks
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

rocketsteve wrote:Good planning, I blew mine at home (long story...) and replaced it with a cheap £10 Chinese Ebay unit which works fine. I keep a spare on the bike.

I also ordered the US one (£50) and plan to fit it when I get the bike out the bag.

By the way, Gordon says the £50 one is better as he doesn't need to blip the throttle prior to cold starts any more, don't know how that's made the difference...
Thanks Steve, I remember you having issues last year. Do you know which one you bought for £50? Cheers
The Mindless Philosopher

knockdolian wrote:Thanks for the information. I have to disagree with you ref you get what you pay for. If I look on eBay there are several in the uk for about £40-50 that look exactly like the Chinese £10 One’s. Read in to that what you will. I take onboard what you say about renewing the grease. You say you bought a qualitiy one in the end. Do you remember the make, part number ?
Thanks
No worries. Different experiences breed different opinions. I've also bought expensive junk and awesome cheapo stuff. It happens. There are always exceptions to the rule.

I don't remember what I ended up with, but it was in the price range of a ProForm 66944C (Summit Auto Parts #PRO-66944C) $22.99 USD (about 17.29 British Pounds Sterling). It might even be one of those for all I know.
The Mindless Philosopher

rocketsteve wrote: By the way, Gordon says the £50 one is better as he doesn't need to blip the throttle prior to cold starts any more, don't know how that's made the difference...
That's odd, but great that it works for him. I won't argue it. I wish a module would work that magic for mine. The only thing that makes it want to fire up without any coaxing is warm weather above 60F (15C).

Any idea what part that is? I never can tell when I'll need a better one. For now, I carry a $25 spare. Summit carries Moroso, PerTronix, and MSD modules in the $60 (45 Pounds) range.
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

I have lost two of them over the years good idea to have one extra
Norm
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

V8Norm wrote:I have lost two of them over the years good idea to have one extra
Agree. The only issue I have is which one to buy. They range from £5 to £60. Think I’m going to get the Accel one.
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Looks like the Standard T-Series, with shipping came to just under £50. I've just noticed it's made in China!

I see ACDelco also do one but the item number remains the same regardless of which one you want to choose - LX301T.
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote: Any idea what part that is? I never can tell when I'll need a better one. For now, I carry a $25 spare. Summit carries Moroso, PerTronix, and MSD modules in the $60 (45 Pounds) range.
It's LX301T but the huge range in prices make them tricky to select. :dizzy:
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

rocketsteve wrote:
The Mindless Philosopher wrote: Any idea what part that is? I never can tell when I'll need a better one. For now, I carry a $25 spare. Summit carries Moroso, PerTronix, and MSD modules in the $60 (45 Pounds) range.
It's LX301T but the huge range in prices make them tricky to select. :dizzy:
My point exactly. I don’t mind paying for a quality item but you don’t know what your getting. Chances are they are all made in China. Pays ya money takes ya chances !
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Wow, just been reading about modules and it seems they are all rubbish. Accel. Especially. ACDelco was the module of choice made in the US. Now however made abroad and as rubbish as the rest . Loads of stuff on hot rod forums about the subject. Makes very depressing reading. Summer racing have a very large selection with a wide price. Reviews for most. All have good and bad. Mine field.
Dip Shit 434

Post by Dip Shit 434 »

i always had good luck with the ACDelco, D1906, Autozone $53.99 with 1 year warranty, Summit Racing $33.29,,,, Rock Auto $29.79,,,,, i have never had any difference in performance with aftermarket VS ACDelco other than less $ after purchase of other brands,,, same with Coils as well.

Darryl
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Dip Shit 434 wrote:i always had good luck with the ACDelco, D1906, Autozone $53.99 with 1 year warranty, Summit Racing $33.29,,,, Rock Auto $29.79,,,,, i have never had any difference in performance with aftermarket VS ACDelco other than less $ after purchase of other brands,,, same with Coils as well.

Darryl
Thanks. My distributor is a performance street/strip. I’ve looked on their wed site and all their distributors now have DUI on them. What’s DUI, can’t find an explanation that makes sense. Is it just a performance HEI ?
The Mindless Philosopher

With all the pro's and con's and confusion, it sounds like it's time to select based on price rather than brand and go with two or three of whatever you get?
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:With all the pro's and con's and confusion, it sounds like it's time to select based on price rather than brand and go with two or three of whatever you get?
Probably true.
Dip Shit 434

Post by Dip Shit 434 »

knockdolian wrote:
Dip Shit 434 wrote:i always had good luck with the ACDelco, D1906, Autozone $53.99 with 1 year warranty, Summit Racing $33.29,,,, Rock Auto $29.79,,,,, i have never had any difference in performance with aftermarket VS ACDelco other than less $ after purchase of other brands,,, same with Coils as well.

Darryl
Thanks. My distributor is a performance street/strip. I’ve looked on their wed site and all their distributors now have DUI on them. What’s DUI, can’t find an explanation that makes sense. Is it just a performance HEI ?

if i remember DUI is Davis Unified Ignition, just another distributor & brand of parts like Accel, using their brand of parts, though all are interchangeable,,,

Darryl
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

if i remember DUI is Davis Unified Ignition, just another distributor & brand of parts like Accel, using their brand of parts, though all are interchangeable,,,

Darryl[/quote]
Thanks Darryl for the information. It’s appreciated.