Cold Weather Riding

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
BossHossMan

Cold Weather Riding

Post by BossHossMan »

I am looking for some input from you cold weather riders on how you keep your engine temperature in the normal operating range. I rode about 100 miles yesterday with the air temperature in the low 40's and maintained a speed most of the time of about 65 mph. My engine temperature was between 130 and 135 degrees most of the time. The torque converter won't even lockup until about 140 degrees. I realize it is not really good for the engine to run at that temperature. I was thinking about putting something in front of the radiator to block some air like the truckers. Any suggestions? Thanks. (2012 BH Trike Coupe 485HP LS3).
Ron Radulski

Re: Cold Weather Riding

Post by Ron Radulski »

Barry, should be chiming in some time soon. This should definitely be his area of expertise! LOL
wag

Post by wag »

thermostat
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Here I am Ron..lol

Install a 160 thermostat or even a 180. When running here in 40 degree or cooler I have seen my bikes not even go above 120 for the whole hour ride...SB and BB.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

I thought it already had a thermostat for 180. The radiator fan comes on at 210 degrees and shuts off at 180. Are you saying that this setup does not have a thermostat?
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Can you please educate a thick Brit. What has the engine temperature got to do with lock up ? Is your gear box cooled by an inter cooler ? Just a question. Thanks
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

I did quite a bit of studying on the subject because I was having problems with my TC not locking up properly (it turned out to be an ECU problem). At the moment I can't find the specific document that stated the minimum required temperature for the 4L70E transmission to allow TC lockup but I believe it was 140 degrees. I will keep looking. Yes there is an external transmission cooler.

http://www.dnr.louisiana.gov/assets/TAD ... to/f/f.htm
https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/gm- ... ons/4l70e/
https://www.thoughtco.com/diagnosing-gm ... ems-262653
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

BossHossMan wrote:I did quite a bit of studying on the subject because I was having problems with my TC not locking up properly (it turned out to be an ECU problem). At the moment I can't find the specific document that stated the minimum required temperature for the 4L70E transmission to allow TC lockup but I believe it was 140 degrees. I will keep looking. Yes there is an external transmission cooler.

http://www.dnr.louisiana.gov/assets/TAD ... to/f/f.htm
https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/gm- ... ons/4l70e/
https://www.thoughtco.com/diagnosing-gm ... ems-262653
Thanks, every day is a school day. I have the TH350 no lock up. I get. 20-25 mpg that’s Uk gallons. What do yo or should you get with the later box with lock up ?
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

My last BH Trike had the same transmission as yours with the 385 HP engine and I got 20 mpg. The setup I have now averages 23 MPG. An interesting side point is that this trike with the bigger engine runs incredibly cooler even in stop and go traffic, which of course is great in the summer but leads to my issue with being a little too cool in the winter.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

BossHossMan wrote:I thought it already had a thermostat for 180. The radiator fan comes on at 210 degrees and shuts off at 180. Are you saying that this setup does not have a thermostat?
Yes...if it had a 180 thermostat the motor would stay at 180 even at 20 below F.

If the fan shuts off at 180 then I would install a 160F thermostat so the thermostat is not fighting the fan on and off. If you run a 180 that is too close to the fan off temp of 180. Make sense??
CanuckHoss

BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Thanks very much for the advice Barry. It makes sense and I will give it a go.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

You are very welcome
CanuckHoss

The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

CanuckHoss wrote:
BossHossMan wrote:I thought it already had a thermostat for 180. The radiator fan comes on at 210 degrees and shuts off at 180. Are you saying that this setup does not have a thermostat?
Yes...if it had a 180 thermostat the motor would stay at 180 even at 20 below F.

If the fan shuts off at 180 then I would install a 160F thermostat so the thermostat is not fighting the fan on and off. If you run a 180 that is too close to the fan off temp of 180. Make sense??

I can attest to this. I put a 180 thermostat in mine this winter. We've hit the high 30's/low 40's a few times in the wee hours. The coolant heats up to around 182 after a few blocks then stays there (or gets a warmer depending on traffic).
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

My '01 ZZ4 didn't have one. Of course, I didn't buy my BH new, so there's no telling if it had come with one and it got yanked out at some point, but I'm near certain I've been told that the SBC's didn't normally come with thermostats. I don't know if that applied across the board or just to certain models.
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

It is very interesting how much discussion and disagreement there is on this issue at various Corvette and Chevy forums on the web. I am very curious about how this will work out and whether or not there is even a thermostat in this engine. If there isn't, I can only assume BH did not put one in originally. I ordered the 160 degree thermostat from ZIP: https://www.zip-corvette.com/09-13-160- ... ostat.html.
The snow is almost gone from my driveway so as soon as the thermostat gets here I will get it in and be ready to go for a ride. I wonder how cable chains would work on a BH? More to come.
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

I finally received my new thermostat and start looking around to see how I am going to do the install. And wow, this Boss Hoss water manifold is not like anything I have ever seen. Here is a picture of the front of the engine:
IMG_0184.jpg
The lower right hand connection goes to the electric water pump. Any ideas on where the thermostat goes?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I find it hard to believe that Boss Hoss would not put a thermostat in an LS3. The other carbs 350 and 502 yes but an LS3
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I find it hard to believe that Boss Hoss would not put a thermostat in an LS3. The other carbs 350 and 502 yes but an LS3
CanuckHoss

Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Why all this speculation on whether it has one or not, and just call the factory and ask them.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

My 2008 ZZ4 had a factory 180 degree stat in it. I changed to a 160 stat almost 2 years ago and am not sorry. I live in Michigan. I agree with Gerry, why not just call the factory and ask them about the LS3 engine having a thermostat or not.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ok. Confirmation. Thermostats were taken out of all LS motors for quite a few years production.
CanuckHoss

BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Well I guess that settles it. Thanks again Barry. Anyone need a new 160 Degree Thermostat for a 09-13 C6 Corvette?

Happy Cold Weather Riding!