Machining

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Foose1986

Machining

Post by Foose1986 »

When I bought my BH, the gas tank was sitting on mounts that made it sit about 1-1/2" lower in the front. The original brackets were aluminum with rounded out clearance holes and the offset was obviously bent with a pair of vise grips. Recently I acquired a small local machine shop and had them make a new set of mounts to try out. See the attached picture.

Just throwing it out there, I'd be happy to help with anyone's crazy ideas for parts/brackets/etc. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and the ability to design/make anything you can dream up.
Attachments
tank.jpg
mmaupin

Re: Machining

Post by mmaupin »

Nice stuff! CNC mill?
Regards,

Mark

Foose1986

Post by Foose1986 »

Main equipment is a vertical CNC mill and just ordered a CNC plasma table. I brought in the cad software, Autocad and Autodesk Inventor. We can plasma cut steel up to 1/4" thick, and the CNC capacity is roughly 30" X by 18" Y x 12" Z. Already have accounts with paint, powdercoat, and anodizing shops, although the above picture was just rattle canned.
wag

Post by wag »

One thing that has been an issue with smalblock bikes is the way the front motor mounts attach with intake bolts. They break and also create a situation where the front of the intake loosens up and leaks. A motor mount that attaches to the front of the head would be much better.
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Great idea WAG. I seem to remember
CARL LaFONG did this to his bike. I think
it's on his blog page.

Paul H
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Yup, I did. They work fine though I think they would have to be made for each bike specifically because of minor missalignments and different heads. Wouldn't be "one size fits all do
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/