IRS - Independent Rear Suspension

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

IRS - Independent Rear Suspension

Post by CanuckHoss »

Anyone have an idea of where to look if a person was searching for an IRS for a trike??

Tossing a few ideas around with a friend up here.

Thanks
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Orlando606VetteTrike

Re: IRS - Independent Rear Suspension

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Great question for Norm or Jeff since they both own an IRS trike.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Jeff Hemperly would be my choice. He narrowed
a Jag IRS to fit under his 32 BH trike. You've been following his build for a year or so, right???

Paul H
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I just saw this post. The rear in mine was from an 87 XJS . It came from a junkyard in Fla. It had and still has 2.88 gears in it. Be ready to rebuild everything from the calipers and hubs, to replacing the brake rotors. All the wheel bearings in the hubs were iffy. The new stuff from Concours West got rid of the original needle bearings. Now its all uhmw bushings.
Should one do this, the rotor dia is rather small , 10 in. They make after market rotors that are vented ( and thicker) and a larger od. A spacer kit is required for the brake calipers to still work.
Its a lot of work cutting everything down and doing careful planning of the geometry, but it depends if you want it or not. Overall, I like it.
The rear is quiet and everything works pretty nice back there.
I actually took it out for its first ride this year on Fathers Day..... I have been busy w other stuff..(shame on me for buying a nice 2 yr old 5th wheel) 7 weeks later , still "re-doing" stuff that was poor craftsmanship . Haven't even used it yet to camp in ...soon. !!! I can almost smell bacon and campfire and a cold beer...Jeff
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Sure would like to see the Winters Company jump on this IRS trike project! They are big into IRS for the street rod scene. We just saw them in York, PA a couple weeks ago for the NSRA East Nationals. They said that their Winters Trans is doing very well after a couple initial tweaks, BTW.

Bill
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Barry, there is a company in Wales UK called the trike shop. They make bolt on kits to turn bikes to trikes. Found a write up in an old magazine (2003)
Hope the photos come out
Attachments
F2223A95-8B83-4A9A-B376-0817967BEC27.jpeg
B0784CFE-DAB2-44BA-A0F8-74B6E35D06CA.jpeg
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

knockdolian wrote:Barry, there is a company in Wales UK called the trike shop. They make bolt on kits to turn bikes to trikes. Found a write up in an old magazine (2003)
Hope the photos come out
I have owned the trike shop's http://www.trikeshop.com GoldWing Roadsmith conversion for years. Nothing but a happy story. Great stuff. Seeing the pictures, it looks like they were doing something in the past with a BH conversion. Might be worth contacting them.
Regards,

Mark