Brembo Frustrations

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
mmaupin

Brembo Frustrations

Post by mmaupin »

I just finished changing the 300 rear tire on my 04 SB.

When doing this, I noticed that one brake pad was almost gone and the other had very little wear at all. I put two new pads in and found the rear brakes to be very spongy. After looking closer, it was apparent the inner two pistons on the caliper were fully compressed and not moving out when the brake was pressed.

Took the caliper back off (did not disconnect the brake line), removed the brake pads. Using two small C-Clamps, I forced the outer two pistons back into the caliper and then applied some brake pressure to force the inner two pistons to come out of the caliper a little bit; maybe 0.150 inches. Reassembled the rear brake and now have a firm rear brake pedal. My guess is the next time I take the brakes apart I will find uneven wear once again. Anyone else experience this?

To further complicate this issue, I could not find any good information on obtaining a caliper rebuild kit. The caliper is a Brembo P/N 20671400 which has two 30mm and two 34mm pistons. Searching the Brembo websites I could not find that 20671400 in current information. I did find it in some older (mostly in Italian) documents.

Does anyone know of a source for these calipers or rebuild kits?
Does Brembo make a direct replacement caliper?
Wonder if the BH factory still sells that upgrade kit to replace the rear brake setup?

This website has many Brembo parts: https://www.oppracing.com/category/231- ... ent-parts/

Just for info, the brake pad P/Ns for my bike are:
Front EBC FA95HH
Rear EBC FA244HH
Regards,

Mark

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Re: Brembo Frustrations

Post by V8Bikers »

I got my rebuild kit (9 o rings) from Mountain several months ago.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

mmaupin wrote:I just finished changing the 300 rear tire on my 04 SB.

When doing this, I noticed that one brake pad was almost gone and the other had very little wear at all. I put two new pads in and found the rear brakes to be very spongy. After looking closer, it was apparent the inner two pistons on the caliper were fully compressed and not moving out when the brake was pressed.

Took the caliper back off (did not disconnect the brake line), removed the brake pads. Using two small C-Clamps, I forced the outer two pistons back into the caliper and then applied some brake pressure to force the inner two pistons to come out of the caliper a little bit; maybe 0.150 inches. Reassembled the rear brake and now have a firm rear brake pedal. My guess is the next time I take the brakes apart I will find uneven wear once again. Anyone else experience this?

To further complicate this issue, I could not find any good information on obtaining a caliper rebuild kit. The caliper is a Brembo P/N 20671400 which has two 30mm and two 34mm pistons. Searching the Brembo websites I could not find that 20671400 in current information. I did find it in some older (mostly in Italian) documents.

Does anyone know of a source for these calipers or rebuild kits?
Does Brembo make a direct replacement caliper?
Wonder if the BH factory still sells that upgrade kit to replace the rear brake setup?

This website has many Brembo parts: https://www.oppracing.com/category/231- ... ent-parts/

Just for info, the brake pad P/Ns for my bike are:
Front EBC FA95HH
Rear EBC FA244HH
Instead of the "Double H" pads, you might want to try the new semi-sintered ones that EBC are selling now. They are the "V" pads for touring bikes. Blended Semi-Sintered.(organic/sintered) They came out about 6 years ago. Double H pads are rough on rotors, IMHO. Just my 2 cents. When ordering, just add the letter "V" at the end of the numbers instead of "HH".
Bryan Ward

Post by Bryan Ward »

The rear Brembo caliper on my bike will do the same sometimes, wear one out before the other. It's important to have the caliper centered over the rotor so that one side is not squeezing the rotor more than the other. Even when the brake is released while cruising the closest pad to the rotor will wear more than the other.

Also, when you are changing pads, with the caliper removed, push all 4 pistons back in as far as they will go. This cleans up the pistons a bit. Then once you put it together, pump up the brake again before you ride it, or you wont stop!

Bryan Ward
Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I think, the new rear brake was one of my best and very wise Ideas Ive done
Attachments
IMG_20131112_173601_0.jpg
IMG_20131112_173552_0.jpg
Life is to short, to drive small Bikes