Edelbrock 1901 Carb

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Foose1986

Edelbrock 1901 Carb

Post by Foose1986 »

I bought a 1997 SB last fall, and the weather was finally nice enough to tear into it tonight. This bike has sat for a long time, and just didn't run right. I pulled the gas tank off and found myself looking at a very filthy Edelbrock 1901.

After a little research, rebuild kits are easy to come by, but this is a 500cfm carb if I'm not mistaken. I think I've seen elsewhere on this forum people leaning towards a 650cfm.

Big question - Do I try to bring this 1901 back to life, or replace it with something else? I'm hoping someone else on here has dealt with this carb before, and has a few tips of wisdom they can pass along.

Side note - this carb has mechanical secondaries. Wouldn't I want vacuum secondaries for this application? Or am I missing something obvious?
Ulyssesj

Re: Edelbrock 1901 Carb

Post by Ulyssesj »

500cfm will be fine. If you go bigger you'll just need to jet it down. The majority of the Boss' are way over carb'd and run like shit at the best of times.Remember your not at the drag strip, your not subjecting the bike to the engine loads that a heavier vehicle will see, and your basically puttering around town at 12-1500 rpm, maybe 2500 and a bit on the hiway. Ease your tuning headaches and stick with the 500cfm.
Ulyssesj
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

Hmmm... 500cfm seems low for an Edelbrock 1901. Mine is 750cfm, which I am almost certain is standard for the Edelbrock model, but I could be wrong.

BUT... Here's what I would recommend based upon first-hand experience:

Contact Carburetor Mike (forum user) and ask him to rebuild it for you. Mike tunes these specifically for our rides and tests them before shipping.

It will take some time (expect a turnaround of maybe a month or two) but he will return a product you will be quite PLEASED with! The price is a little steep if you do not have a core to trade in, but it is more than worth it! As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Expect a little increase in fuel economy, a little increase in seat-of-the-pants power, and most importantly, a huge increase in stability and reliability. Mike knows how to iron out the wrinkles!

So far, mine performs beautifully at sea level in 120F heat and equally well at 4,000 ft. in 45F temperatures.

2001 ZZ4 Boss Hoss
Foose1986

Post by Foose1986 »

Thanks for the input.

Does Carb Mike have an email that someone knows off hand? I’ll reach out to him.
The Mindless Philosopher

Foose1986 wrote:Thanks for the input.

Does Carb Mike have an email that someone knows off hand? I’ll reach out to him.

I sent you a PM.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

A 1901 Edelbrock is a 750 cfm .
Foose1986

Post by Foose1986 »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:

I sent you a PM.
I didn't receive it for whatever reason. You can drop me an email at cfeuster@mcdonoughmfg.com.
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

This shows the different model carbs and their CFM.
Attachments
Edelbrock CFM.jpg
2008 606 Corvette Trike
The Mindless Philosopher

Foose1986 wrote:
The Mindless Philosopher wrote:

I sent you a PM.
I didn't receive it for whatever reason. You can drop me an email at cfeuster@mcdonoughmfg.com.
Here's his info. I found a few threads where he publicly posted this himself, so I strongly suspect he does not mind me sharing?

carburetor.mike@netzero.com
814-868-0170

I would have emailed it per your request, but Murphy's Law is in effect today: mail servers are being a problem.
Foose1986

Post by Foose1986 »

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif- ... gJnFPD_BwE

Has anyone seen/tried this? Seems way too cheap for a decent FI swap.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

You'll be into it for over a grand once you buy a fuel pump and other ancillaries that are not included with the kit. Be sure it will fit between the upper frame rails
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Foose1986

Post by Foose1986 »

Well I tore the 1901 down to bare bones today and did a full rebuild. Hooked it back up and what a difference it made in throttle response. The motor just sounds healthy. Also had my first experience buying parts at the local auto parts store. The guy behind the counter was very eager about getting vehicle information, but having done my homework to get parts numbers before hand on their website, we were able to bypass that.

I did notice the choke was disabled with a ziptie. Is this a common practice?
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Most people disable the choke
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

OR convert it a hand operated choke
like Jack and I have.