Dumb questions from a new BH owner

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Foose1986

Dumb questions from a new BH owner

Post by Foose1986 »

First off thanks for having me here. After years of riding Harleys, I finally found myself a used Boss Hoss a few weeks ago and pulled the trigger. It's a 1997 with a single speed automatic.

Anyways, I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys could answer. I browsed the Tech pages, but didn't have any luck.

The paperwork I received when I bought this says it was a BHC-2 KIT from Atlanta Boss Hoss, sold to a dude in Minnesota. It shows a Boss Hoss VIN (which auto populated to a BHC-3 with my insurance company), and I don't know much else about the history. I thought the kits stopped after 1995...

1.) The paperwork shows a 210hp 5.7L engine was included, does that sound accurate for a "kit" in 1997? Or was it sold minus the motor? If it was sold with a motor, I was thinking they came in 330hp and 385hp (ZZ4). The block is stamped 5.7 LG SGI, and from the paperwork, I found a hand written note with the following: 10243880. From that number I see its a Small Block V8, 1995-1999 350, 4 bolt, crate engine and ZZ4, roller cam, one piece rear seal. Not sure if it's the factory motor or not.

2.) At some point it was upgraded to a 1 speed automatic transmission. The left foot peg has the hole for the old clutch pin. Is there material available to assist with maintenance? Should I be looking for a serial number somewhere to narrow down the year of it? It appears to be working fine, but I've never driven another one so I have no other knowledge.

3.) Any tips on how to purchase normal maintenance items at the local part store for the engine? I can see the deer in the headlights look now when I try to buy plugs and wires...

4.) Final dumb question... Should I be checking the oil level (engine and trans) standing upright, or on the side stand? Not sure if Boss Hoss changed the dipstick lengths to accommodate for the side stand level or not.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Dumb questions from a new BH owner

Post by Carl La Fong »

Kit bikes didn't come with an engine, as far as I know. Tell the parts guy that you have a 95 Chevy pickup. I checked the fluid on my one speed standing upright. I don't think they are as fussy as the two speeds.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I thought kit bikes were NOT sold after 1995...I could be wrong. That is the year Monte showed up in Sturgis with Demo rides and I did a demo..hooked me right there.

Kits were discontinued because Boss Hoss Insurance forced them to sell a bike that was running...not complete as in paint and assembly but running.

If it has a serial number that flags as a BHC-3 then I think it was not a kit...again that is the info I work with and could be wrong.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

It could easily can be a kit bike ... the year is not assigned until the bike is first registered. I have never built a BH kit bike but I have built a few other customs in my time. Example like I had a 1995 HD frame (with title of course). I could have registered it as a 1995 Harley or a 2005 Custom, I chose to register it as a 2005 Custom. I imagine it possible that different states have different rules, I don't know. Any other paperwork come with the bike??
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Hey Foose1986, :welcome: to the forum! The kits were available until at least '98 as I had bought one. To check engine oil: Bike cold and upright. Also, I would call the Boss Hoss factory @ 731-286-4915 and they will be able to help you out.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Foose1986

Post by Foose1986 »

Thanks for the replies. I've attached the paperwork I have. It seems to me that it's a BHC-2, but it's strange that my insurance company automatically called it a -3. Weirdest part - Kit bike that included the motor?
Attachments
title.png
build sheet.png
misfit

Post by misfit »

it looks like it was originally purchased from Atlanta Boss Hoss? If the were an early dealer they could have included the engine as part of the kit? I bought my first Boss in '97. It was a '95 kit with no engine from a dealer in Minnesota who is no longer in business. Mine was a clutch bike that I upgraded to a single speed auto when I bought the trans and upgraded swingarm from a guy in Florida who had turned his '98 Bike into a trike!
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Here comes your history lesson for today. In 91 Boss Hoss
sold complete bikes OR a "kit". The kit was a basic frame
swing arm, clutch single speed transmission with bell housing, Rear axle with chain sprocket and disc brake
with rotor. Peddles for clutch and rear brake. That was it for a "KIT". It was only sold the first few years, 91,92 and
maybe 93. Then the BH factory started selling a rolling chassis (NOT a kit) that was complete with everything but the engine.
Available in raw no paint or chrome for $10,500 OR
with a black powder coated frame and chromed swing arm
and other parts, for $12,000. BUT still no engine. Mid or later 90's they were sold only with a ZZ3 engine at 345 HP. Any more questions please ask.
Paul H
Puff

Post by Puff »

Foose,

The factory boys told me to ask for generic parts
at a parts store for a 1982 Chevy pickup.
ie: wires, ignition control module, etc........
Bill Van Sant

Puff

Post by Puff »

My ign module decided for me to have a 20-minute
stop on the side of the highway last night.
After waiting that time, the bike started, and I
rode it back to ALMOST home when the module
decided I needed to stop on my street !
Waited 20 minutes again, bike started, and I
rode it home the 300 yards........
Will replace that module with the new one I
have in my garage.
Lifetime warranty on that part at AutoZone,
so I will go get another new one to have on hand
for replacement when it happens...... again..... :ridding:
Bill Van Sant

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Why don't you carry a module with you , I do .
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

AutoZone warranties electrical parts???
Never heard of that, before. Maybe
an alternator for a year or so???

Paul H