Tach

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
hogv8

Tach

Post by hogv8 »

All of the sudden after 17 years of ownership my tach quit working . I haven't done any checking yet but it seems simple , either it has power from the distributor or not . It seems to be getting power because it jumps slightly when switched on or could there be something wrong with the tach pick up in the distributor . Any ideas ?
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: Tach

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

Distributor coil could be going bad. You might also have a loosening rotor cap (one screw working its way up a fraction of a turn). You might want to check the firmness of your plugs and wires, too. I have 18 pages worth of plagues I've encountered with mine on the other forum. This was one of them.
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Jack , the easiest way is gonna be to test it with a good tach. You can't read the pulses with a meter or a test light.
Maybe find one at wally world that you can return after you test it ! :capwin:
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Imzz4 wrote:Jack , the easiest way is gonna be to test it with a good tach. You can't read the pulses with a meter or a test light.
Maybe find one at wally world that you can return after you test it ! :capwin:
Thanks Jeff , if my tach does check out to be OK wouldn't it have to be something wrong with the coil not giving out pulses ? I do have a spare coil .r
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Assume there is 12V power to the tach when the key switch is on. Check continuity (Green Wire) from the tach to the negative side of the coil. If your bike has some kind of ignition module the green tach wire may go there.

I would doubt it is the coil, if your bike starts and runs.
Regards,

Mark

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

mmaupin wrote:Assume there is 12V power to the tach when the key switch is on. Check continuity (Green Wire) from the tach to the negative side of the coil. If your bike has some kind of ignition module the green tach wire may go there.

I would doubt it is the coil, if your bike starts and runs.
Mark , I've got the distributor cap off and there doesn't seem to be continuity from the green wire on the tach and the ground wire/ negative on the coil or is there any continuity between the tach green wire and the terminal where the tach wire connects to the coil but if this is the pulse wire for the tach maybe it would only show something when the engine is running ?
Is this telling me I have a break in the tach wire going from the distributor tach wire and the tach itself ? I do however have 12 volts to the tach and ground to the tach .As you can see Wiring is not my cup of tea .

Thanks , Jack
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I appreciate all the help guys but I found the culprit, a broken wire between the tach and the tachometer . Thanks again , Jack