Parasitic Voltage Drain.

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
TXscooterguy

Parasitic Voltage Drain.

Post by TXscooterguy »

We had a number of days of rain here in DFW that kept my 2015 Coupe in the garage. Tried to hop on it last night and found the battery dead -- not just low but dead. I know, I know, it needs a battery tender. And in fact I have one. But shouldn't a fully charged battery be able to go a week or so and still start the scoot? Anyone know where the parasitic drain is coming from? How would one hunt it down? The Coupe has an electrical switch in the trunk. Anyone know if this would stop the parasitic drain? Thanks.
mmaupin

Re: Parasitic Voltage Drain.

Post by mmaupin »

I use one of these on an old car.

http://www.batterybrain.co.uk/product/b ... tch-11-8v/

Works well, as it opens the switch when the battery voltage drops to 11.8 Volts. You can also hide the remote control switch that makes for a nice anti-theft device.
Regards,

Mark

Ulyssesj

Post by Ulyssesj »

It's really quite a simple process. These are not super complicated bikes.
First remove your battery and take it to an auto parts store, have them test it. Bring it in fully charged, that way you dont need to wait all day. Anything better than 12.6v will do. You should get a printout of your battery's health.
If that checks out ok, we can rule out a faulty battery. Reinstall battery. Next with your dvm on amps setting. Disconnect neg battery terminal. Put your dvm leads between the neg terminal and battery neg cable. You should see current draw with key off. Turn key on and you should see more current draw. Key back off. DO NOT START the bike, you'll blow the meter.
Next, at your fuse box, with key off. Start pulling fuses until you see the dvm drop to a minimum current draw. If there is any circuits powered then you need to figure out what they're powering and how much power they're drawing. If it's excessive then you need to determine why and correct it.
Lastly as a bandaid and not a real fix you can install a battery disconect ( maybey that's whats in your trunk. That will completely disconnect battery from bikes electrical system. Won't fix a bad battery. Won't cure your draw, but it will isolate your battery from your bike.
That's the crib notes, it shouldnt be super difficult.
Good luck,
Ulyssesj
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

Okay, I put my new fancy-pants digital Schumacher charger / maintainer on my two year old Odyssey 925 battery. The charge is stalled at 80%. That means the battery is bad, right?