Torque converter ?

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Fastestonehere

Torque converter ?

Post by Fastestonehere »

How can you tell what level unit you have in a bike. AkA looks,color,numbers, or what.

I have recently bought a 2003 502 Bike and can I tell be looking thru inspection cover what " number " converter I have. Stock number 7 ?

Story goes that it had the most recent rebuild and might have a number 7 converter ?
Any way knowing. Minus tearing apart.
Grand Canard

Re: Torque converter ?

Post by Grand Canard »

Fastestonehere wrote:How can you tell what level unit you have in a bike. AkA looks,color,numbers, or what.

I have recently bought a 2003 502 Bike and can I tell be looking thru inspection cover what " number " converter I have. Stock number 7 ?

Story goes that it had the most recent rebuild and might have a number 7 converter ?
Any way knowing. Minus tearing apart.
Splitting the bike to get at the converter will not help you in your quest as unlikely there will be any labeling information to answer your question, TCI which BH uses along with most other torque converter outfits rebuild converters......from junkyard stock. Visit TCI and you'll see mountains of converters segregated by type all waiting for the day they'll be rebuilt. TCI produces quality converters and at a good price.

If you want to know your converter stall, then follow this simple procedure that Marv (King of Speed) taught me 5-6 yrs ago:
Bike operating temperatures all normal to include transmission fluid, while rolling at 15-20 mph shift to over-drive (2nd) and snap-open fully the throttle for 1 second while watching your tachometer. Your tach will needle will "flash" your converter stall RPM; that's a fact Jack.
If you want to get a new (ok, not new but rebuilt) converter optimized for performance, give Marv a shout once you're sure that you want a custom converter, don't call and waste his time as he is such a nice guy that he'll let you waste his time.
Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Fastestonehere

Re: Torque converter ?

Post by Fastestonehere »

So I can assume this should not hurt transmission. Is it heat alone that distroys them?.

And thank you for your reply. It's my first 2 speed