Rear brakes are dragging... help!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
V8Norm

Rear brakes are dragging... help!

Post by V8Norm »

I installed new upgraded brakes. (A kit from Boss Hoss) the problem I have is the brakes are getting very hot. Dragging!! Back rotor is 300 deg and front was 85deg after a 5 mile ride. When putting the kit together I had to put the shoes on the belt sander. with the pistons all the way back it would not fit over the rotor. So now the pistons are very close to being berried. Caliper is square to the rotor. I open the bleeder and there is no pressure and the brakes do not loosen, still dragged. I am turning the transmission at the same time, some resistance there I know. I also took a chunk of shoe off. The shoe was touching the inside of the rotor close to the axcel, ( beyond the machine surface) looking for suggestions? Image
Norm
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Rear brakes are dragging... help!

Post by CanuckHoss »

Change the oil pan maybe?????? Too soon???

I only had on Hoss do this..the 502 I bought with the Briford rear caliper swap.

I stuck new pads in and went for a ride and after 20 minutes the rotor was HOT..

We went back to the shop and took out the new pads on one side and installed the partly used ones back..it worked..no more heat..not sure if the pads were too thick or what..
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Norm, I'm no help for your problem..But I want to do the same upgrade..You mentioned you got it from the factory..Care to share how much kit costs?
phpBB [video]
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Petite Moose put one of these on some time ago. I would reach out to him to ask if he had install issues. Also, rotor could be warped/out of spec. Did you call the factory?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Kit is $1200. My install went flawless and have had zero issues since. Can lock up the rear tire if I want to. I chose to not install the big dust shield. Not for any other reason other than I like the way it looks without it.

I really have no insight as to what may be wrong but will be happy to measure anything you want for comparison reasons.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Thanks Dennis, Does the chrome shield come with kit? I thought it would hinder airflow possibly causing brake overheating...But I don't put a lot of miles on..So thought about using it...Smoke is good upon acceleration,,Not deceleration..
phpBB [video]
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Yep Yep ... Big Ole Hub Cap sized chrome cover ... sitting in / on a shelf somewhere ...
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

If it works: fine.

If it does not work for that kind of money: send the crap back and click on the ad of our site supporter "bigb" on the top right. You wont regret it :idea:
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

Norm; Had the same problem when I installed the big brakes. I put the pads on the belt sander to remove some of the material, then the caliper slipped over the rotor with ease. I don't think the caliper is centered very good on the rotor with the Boss Hoss mounting bracket. Also made a peice up to take the slop out where the bracket slides over the key stock, the slot is cut to wide to clear the weld on the key stock at the swing arm. Never had a problem scene. over 10,000 miles and the pads still look like new.
John
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

johnny redneck wrote:Norm; Had the same problem when I installed the big brakes. I put the pads on the belt sander to remove some of the material, then the caliper slipped over the rotor with ease. I don't think the caliper is centered very good on the rotor with the Boss Hoss mounting bracket. Also made a peice up to take the slop out where the bracket slides over the key stock, the slot is cut to wide to clear the weld on the key stock at the swing arm. Never had a problem scene. over 10,000 miles and the pads still look like new.
John

I will check that out, thanks
Norm
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Johnny, the bracket that holds the caliper and also slides over the key shock. mine does not move at all. Does yours move? I may be mistaken, I thought my 05 moved up and down a little.
They sent me the wrong bushing that goes over the shaft, it was for a newer bike with smaller shafts. I had to get it machined out. Because my shaft is bigger HA HA. If that bracket is suppose to move up and down a little on the key stock then I have the wrong bushing?
Norm
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

I'm still trying to fix my problem. Still dragging, The rotor got up to 340 deg last week. So I have installed new brake caliper, In the garage it seemed not to be any better, so I removed the parking brake, to eliminate something else. ( I have a very good park. so not needed) I drilled holes in the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket and left them a little loose, just to try something else. (maybe a twist in the bracket?? :dunno: ) so today the rotor got up to 205Deg the front was 15deg. it was very cold out!. So I held the rear brake pedal up with my foot. About 30 min later the rotor was 115 deg. Better. So I am going to install a spring on the pedal and test again. Does anyone have a spring on theirs? Got pictures? It does not seem to have any pressure on the master, just the weight of the pedal. I have not been very happy with this $1300. kit! There was no instructions, no pictures, (we are men... we understand pictures) one bushing I had to get machined, that did not fit. I had to put the pads on a belt sander, they were too thick. It works on other bikes, what did I do wrong?? Maybe it is just the pedal. Will test that theory soon.

What a machine :burnout:

Image Image Image

Norm
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Norm, as I recall, that swing arm had to be modified
for the installation of the Vanquish transmission.
Is it possible the swing arm is not straight???
That may throw your mounting point off???
When you bought the new brakes, did the disc
come with??? Just wondering if maybe new brakes
on old disc don't work together, well???
Just trying to help,

Paul H