front wheel bearings

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Imzz4

front wheel bearings

Post by Imzz4 »

Even though this bearing was on our 09 Ultra Classic, a bearing is a bearing. I suspect the prior owner must have used a pressure washer often. Who knows ,but at 25k I noticed on a ride from work it felt like the front tire was over-inflated and felt every small bump. And also the front brake lever travel was quite a bit more on the first pull, and normal on the second.
WTF , really surprised to see the seal had been pushed out by the broken cage and about 10 balls were gone. Failure from no lube. When I tried tapping the bearing out the rest of the balls fell out and I had to weld two beads on the outer part to remove it... new bearings make it feel all brand new again...just wanted to share :wft:
Attachments
DSC00844.JPG
DSC00845.JPG
DSC00846.JPG
johnny redneck

Re: front wheel bearings

Post by johnny redneck »

I Have always changed the wheel bearings Front and Back with the tire.
John
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:yikes: Jeff I am so glad you and your bike are "one" with each other like a lot of other members here and that you know immediately that something is wrong and find/fix the issue before it become catostrophic.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :ten: :capwin:

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

IF you change your front tire..CHANGE the BEARINGS!!! In my experience bearings were gone at 10,000 miles or less...

Funny you should post this today because I just picked put the fubbared front bearing from my 57 trike that I keep on my desk as a reminder...less than 10,000 miles...if I remember correctly
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
2crzy

Post by 2crzy »

The wheel bearings you get only have one row of balls in them. Standard size Harley 1 inch axle, same bearing. I changed mine into a double row ball bearing but had to machine the axle down 1mm. Cant get exact size in 1 inch ID in a double row. Most bearings are made in metric sizes, but Harley and BH still use standard measure. "Very old school" Now this is a safe bearing for the load that its meant for. I have gone through several sets of them cheap single rows before. I also milled the rear hub out and put double row bearings in. Never had a bearing problem since. this is the way this should be built from the factory. Just Saying!!!
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

That's a good idea ! But I'm kinda stuck there since the HD ABS uses a special bearing with a hall affect in the left side. I may think about going to Timkins up front on the BH . They would be easy to check and clean at each tire replacement and can take the load. They have to be set up right and end play carefully measured. Wonder if anyone has done that ?
2crzy

Post by 2crzy »

The bearings I put in are exactly the same width and OD. What do you mean about the hall effect on the left side? Is it built into the bearing?
2crzy

Post by 2crzy »

Cant go to Timkin bearings up front. Not enough meat in the hub to machine out for the seals. Need extra width to install everything, I have looked into it already.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Timken Tapered wheel bearings and races last a long long time provided you carefully set the end clearance keep them packed properly with good quality grease ..
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

I'd used to change the fronts on my Harleys but hey were a dream, just pull and press in to flush with brake disk.

But I believe it's a tricky job for Boss Hoss wheels - needing the front hub to be split? and end play has to be perfectly right so that the spacer it held tightly in. Any guides to the best procedure?
Gordon from England
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I think your bike would have sealed bearings . Shouldn't be that hard to change .
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Ok ,,You guys win! I had talked to a local bike shop about ordering a front tire for the boss hoss...But after this thread on wheel bearings I changed my mind and taking the rim and tire to mountain boss hoss to have front tire mounted and balanced and to also check wheel bearings..And called local shop who hadn't ordered my tire yet(thankfully) to cancel..Like Barry says..Support your dealers! Thanks for an informative thread..Randy
phpBB [video]
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

randy burkey wrote:Ok ,,You guys win! I had talked to a local bike shop about ordering a front tire for the boss hoss...But after this thread on wheel bearings I changed my mind and taking the rim and tire to mountain boss hoss to have front tire mounted and balanced and to also check wheel bearings..And called local shop who hadn't ordered my tire yet(thankfully) to cancel..Like Barry says..Support your dealers! Thanks for an informative thread..Randy

Randy...

For the price of the bearings..I would just replace them rather than check them...new tire / new bearings / PEACE OF MIND..
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Yes it's built into the bearing. If someone puts it in backwards , their ABS light will remain on. I found pics of one someone took apart. It's pretty neat.
I think Tom at MBH has had double row bearing conversions for the rear wheels for quite some time.