cleaning ceramic headers

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Imzz4

cleaning ceramic headers

Post by Imzz4 »

After riding home at night and pulling in the garage, I was half sick to see my sneaker had touched the headers several times but I never felt it once. When they cooled off I tried WD-40, BrakeKleen, and Lusterlace polish with no success.
Yesterday I got some never dull . It was a long slow 2 1/2 hr ordeal using small pieces and both thumb nails to pick away and rub at the burned mess. I actually took the first pic after half of it was cleaned off ,so it was pretty bad.
It worked perfect with no traces of any scratches. Its worth sharing incase anyone has a similar problem . I'm making a small guard now so hopefully it won't happen again. :ten:
Attachments
DSC00832.JPG
DSC00833.JPG
DSC00834.JPG
GordonBH

Re: cleaning ceramic headers

Post by GordonBH »

Looks like a nice product, I'd like to clean up my headers too - so I'll buy it off ebay. Good tip thanks.
Gordon from England
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I made a little bender to help fab a second header guard . Hopefully it will do the trick.
Attachments
DSC00837.JPG
DSC00838.JPG
DSC00839.JPG
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Good idea even if you didn't wear seekers .
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Very nice!
Regards,

Mark

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

One time I burnt some loose rain gear onto the pipes. I still had over a thousand miles to go before I was back home so there was nothing I could do at the time. What amazed me was I did NOTHING and by the time I got home the stuff had disappeared completely. It just burnt off in a couple of days.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I did it again . Only this time the cotton/polyester cover fell down when I had to leave, while it was hotter than I thought. Both sides got it, but the left was worse.
But again, soaking it with Neverdull ,and picking away with the fingernails did the trick and left zero marks.
Now its show worthy again luckily.
Attachments
IMG_6942.JPG
IMG_6931.JPG
IMG_6938.JPG
IMG_6940.JPG
IMG_6941.JPG
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

I soak a rag in wd-40 and wrap it around the affected areas (once they are cooled off) and let it sit overnight. Then, I use Mothers Aluminum polish and it works great with no problems. I really like the Neverdull idea too!

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard