Condensation in speedometer.

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
TXscooterguy

Condensation in speedometer.

Post by TXscooterguy »

If this level of condensation in the speedometer normal?
image.jpeg
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Condensation in speedometer.

Post by Carl La Fong »

I wouldn't think that any level of condensation is normal. Moisture in there can't be any good for the gauge. If it was mine, I would look for some access into the guts of the speedo, like, maybe, a screw. I'd remove the screw and warm the gauge with a hairdryer and try to drive the moisture out
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Way too much! It's quite common to have a little clouding as the warm moist air from the carb and inlet manifold can get up through the wiring access hole between the tanks.

Definitely need to follow Carl's advice with thehair dryer and then I'd put a bead of silicone sealant around guage seams. Finally, use some rubber or sponge around the wiring looms where they come from under the tank into the guage console.
Gordon from England
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

I had a similar issue with my first SB.

Used a desiccant like this one:
https://www.theruststore.com/40-Gram-Re ... 46C27.aspx

Seemed to have helped.
Regards,

Mark

craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

TXscooterguy, call Speedhut, they should take care of you.
Craig
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

I have a Speedhut speedo on my SB. Best thing I have done to it. Love it, works great every time. With that said, they are not waterproof.

http://www.speedhut.com/about-speedometers.html
Regards,

Mark

Drm1

Post by Drm1 »

I too have the Speedhut...Love it!!

Just have to keep H2O off of it. When I wash the bike I cover the gauge. I did smear dialectical grease on the outside edges of the gauge glass and around the black selector button. No condensation after 2 years.
Dave
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

I don't understand why a non-water resistant speedo would ever be put in a motorcycle. If you ride, you're going to get caught in rain. If you camp, you will be leaving the scoot outside and if it rains it's going to get wet. Speed Hut might make an excellent speedo when it's safely installed in a water tight automobile, but it's just plain silly not to upgrade the Boss Hoss units to a level of water resistance. So I guess my choices are an unreadable guage or never let the scoot get wet. That's just not right!
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

Okay, I called the Speedhut folks looking for suggestions on how to fix their non-water resistant gauge. When I told the tech I had a Boss Hoss, he immediately told me I had to call Boss Hoss, he couldn't talk to me. I tried to chat with him about the folly of putting a non-water resistant gauge on a motorcycle. He shared that the new Boss Hoss gauges are sealed better than the first version. Since I'm still under warrant I've contacted my dealer about getting a new set of better sealed gauges. We'll see how this works out.