Mallory Ignition system

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
zenbiker

Mallory Ignition system

Post by zenbiker »

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:22 pm Post subject: Ignition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Crane optically fully electronic ignition/distributor i was going to use is "back ordered"and we've heard nothuing for months but Neil Weber found this beauty! Anyone heard of or using it? I think I'll be the first. The really nice thing is that no external ignition module is needed as was the case with the Crane....Joe

http://geo.q5media.net/GeoBase/arrow/ar ... 46&Key=472
Els

Re: Mallory Ignition system

Post by Els »

Joe,

That is really high tech. Can interface with your PC...wow! Not sure about the programming piece although it would certainly be ideal for specific applications. I suspect for the type of riding I'm guessing you do, you wouldn't have to screw with different settings.

Neil has put a lot of time and thought into the importance of vacuum advance. If he endorses this distributor, take it as gospel it would be a good choice.

The down side if there is one is the "little black module" thing. If it ever takes a dump, you'll pull your hair out trying to diagnose the problem and even Neil will testify to not liking little sealed boxes (modules) with wires coming out. We recently had that conversation.

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Elliot...yeah, the black box thing gives me some pause but it's been my experience that these gizmos are far more reliable than anything mechanical. Still...I get your point...Joe
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Joe , this is not Boss Hoss but I've been running a V Thunder computer programmable ignition on my Harley 96" starter for 7 years now . It is great . Not only can I program a bunch of advance curves but I can program how many times the engine spins over before the ignition kicks in . Being a high compression engine having the engine spin over about 3-4 times before ignition saves a lot of wear and tear on the starter and ring gear because of kick back . The ability to program different curves eliminated pinging in this stroker also .

Jack
wag

Post by wag »

I've had the same on my HD for years, very dependable.
SBarrV8

Post by SBarrV8 »

[quote="zenbiker"]Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:22 pm Post subject: Ignition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Crane optically fully electronic ignition/distributor i was going to use is "back ordered"and we've heard nothuing for months but Neil Weber found this beauty! Anyone heard of or using it? I think I'll be the first. The really nice thing is that no external ignition module is needed as was the case with the Crane....Joe

Joe, I'm now a big believer in elec. ignition. A few months back Breedlove talked me into going with an MSD all electronic system on the bb trike. It does require an external coil but no real problem on a trike.

I love it. 5 'vacuum' curves, 20 'centrif.' curves for 100 total combinations.

No weights, springs, etc. No 'which 2 colors of springs in combination should I use'. Want to change? Take off the top, turn 2 dials (1 for vacuum curve, 1 for centrif. curve), put the top back on. Timing light, don't need after initial installation. Much simpler. I'm sold. Next project- put one on Janice's sb trike.

I'll sell my used DUI form the big block cheap.
Steve H. Barr
SBarrV8

Feel free to disagree with me- I support your right to be wrong.
SBarrV8

Post by SBarrV8 »

Joe- follow up. The MSD is an MSD digital e-curve pro billet. Part number MSD-8394 for Chevy small or big block. Currently $375 at Summit Racing. You will need a coil, I use one of the MSD 'Blaster' series.
Steve H. Barr
SBarrV8

zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Steve...The Mallory also requires an external coil but not an external ignition module. Does yours?..Joe
SBarrV8

Post by SBarrV8 »

Hi Joe,

Just 2 pieces- the distributor system and external coil.
Steve H. Barr
SBarrV8

zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Steve...So it's just as the Mallory. The Crane requires a rather large ignition box as well. We will be getting the Mallory distributor any day now and if there is a fitment problem, I'll be getting the same one you have...Thanks, Steve..Joe
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Steve...The Mallory distributor fits just fine. The shaft length is the same as the stock or the MSD so I'm not sure why Marv said he had to machine the shaft. The fact is that the cap is also a lot shorter giving better clearance to the bottom of my seat pan (2000 model). The only thing that can ever need changing on these types of distributors are the rotor and cap when the contacts oxidize but the timing should never need adjustment and never go out....Joe
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Just an FYI. I have about 4000 miles on this ignition/distributor now. One of the truly great upgrades. The motor idles perfectly even with my lopy big cam and stays right when in 1st at stops ( this was a long time problem for me ) The throttle response is much better. Very crisp and clean. WOT is perfect. I should have gone this route a long time ago. No springs, no weights, no maintenance and perfect performance.....Joe :D :D
KISS

Post by KISS »

Thanks Joe,sounds good! :? 8-)