BH trike rear brakes

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Ronald
$ite $upporter

BH trike rear brakes

Post by Ronald »

Has any one replaced the whole rear braking system on a BH trike?, I mean, for the size, power and mass of this bikes, the rear brakes are very small and the trike is not to eager to stop on short notice, so I was wondering if anyone had replaced the rotors and calipers for something bigger that helps the trike to stop faster and better

if it has a solution, why to worry? and if not, why to worry?
V-MAN

Re: BH trike rear brakes

Post by V-MAN »

Ronald -

Check this out, I think it will answer you questions.

http://www.v8bikeriders.com/forums/show ... hp?t=22530

Don

PS
Sorry for outside link here but I wanted to be sure credit goes where it should for the info (Gruff)
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Ron,check out the rear disc brakes on the later BH trikes. They have larger diameter,vented rotors and huge calipers. I think the rotors are off a Ford Crown Victoria and calipers from a 2005-later Mustang GT.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Clint44 wrote:Ron,check out the rear disc brakes on the later BH trikes. They have larger diameter,vented rotors and huge calipers. I think the rotors are off a Ford Crown Victoria and calipers from a 2005-later Mustang GT.

When you say vented, do you mean drilled?
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Mikie v wrote:
Clint44 wrote:Ron,check out the rear disc brakes on the later BH trikes. They have larger diameter,vented rotors and huge calipers. I think the rotors are off a Ford Crown Victoria and calipers from a 2005-later Mustang GT.

When you say vented, do you mean drilled?
Not Clint but I'll give this a go ... vented rotors are NOT drilled rotors. I have worked on plenty of Crown Vics and Grand Marq and the rotors were never drilled or slotted from factory. A vented rotor is not a solid rotor ... see below (if pics work)

I believe this is what Clint was referring to, if I'm wrong then I apologize.

Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Gatcha, then yes I have vented rotors and Clint44 is correct I have a 12 Gangsta. Thanks V-Man
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Mikie v wrote:Gatcha, then yes I have vented rotors and Clint44 is correct I have a 12 Gangsta. Thanks V-Man
You are welcome Mikie. I'm pretty sure Clint would know, he had a beautiful 57 BH Trike. If the rotors are from a CV you would be able to upgrade to drilled or slotted or drilled AND slotted. The upgrade would provide even better/faster heat dissipation.

I just finished a full brake job on my wifes Jetta Tdi and went with drilled and slotted rotors. The cost associated are worth it in my opinion ...

tjy

Post by tjy »

Don Would you consider putting disc brakes on Nancys trike as I think it needs Upgraded, I think she would approve in the name of safety!

Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Might have to remove one and match it up against a CV at my local Auto store.
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

tjy wrote:Don Would you consider putting disc brakes on Nancys trike as I think it needs Upgraded, I think she would approve in the name of safety!
I might consider it but never down in FL ... I don't have a lift or access to all my tools down there.
Mikie v wrote:Might have to remove one and match it up against a CV at my local Auto store.
Call BH and ask them the question ... they would know 100% what the application is OR at least they should!!

Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

Tom, when you talk w/ BH also ask who made their calibers then go to that company's website, get their phone number and call and ask which pads they have that will stop quicker. Sometimes that may be the cure but definitely not as good as upgrading the calibers.
Buck
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

tjy wrote:Don Would you consider putting disc brakes on Nancys trike as I think it needs Upgraded, I think she would approve in the name of safety!
Tom,

Take it from me /us...whenever you do a conversion...or something different from the norm or stock....you can run into a whole gammit of WTF do we do now?....never has stumped us but a lot of times it takes way more time than a person thought and a lot of creativity...

I have not found that disc brakes on a trike are a whole lot better than drums on these trikes...that is if the drums are working properly...set properly...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Our 57 had drum brakes. They worked ok but were not very linear,hard to tell where the lock-up point was,sometimes. I rode a 2012 trike and its rear brakes were very strong & linear.

Don,if that's true about the Crown Vic rotors,it's possible I might have the origin of the brake components,backwards.
Been a few years since Curtis Pyatt and I discussed that upgrade.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)