Lowering front end

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
hogv8

Lowering front end

Post by hogv8 »

My bike sets a little high in the front for some reason . It's a 2000 but it's got the inverted front forks on it . Has anyone lowered the front of their bike by sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps ?

I'm thinking it would take about one and one half inches to make the bike set more level .

I'm not sure why it seems to set higher unless it's the 18" front wheel I have on it .

You can see from my picture what I'm talking about .

Thanks, Jack
petitemoose

Re: Lowering front end

Post by petitemoose »

If I were going to lower mine, That is how I would do it. That and $5 will get you a small coffee at BarStucks
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Buck , didn't you lower the front end on your Boss Hoss a inch or so by doing what I'm talking about
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

come to think of it, yes I did. If it weren't for my CRIS I would have responded earlier. I don't believe that the handling was negatively affected nor were the looks of the triple tree, just looks normal. Try it and post the results.
Buck
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

All Joking aside, That is the usual way it is done. Sport Bike guys have been lowering the front ends that way and then using Lowering Bars on the rear end. Adjusting the front forks will affect the handling. Here is some good reading before you start in ...

http://bikearama.com/theory/motorcycle- ... explained/

http://sportbike.natkd.com/motorcycle_geometry_101.htm

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/rake.htm
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Thanks Moose , good advise .
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

Jack, I just had my 98 changed to inverted forks and had to let it down about 11/2 inchs to get it back to orig height. My speedo cable would not reach with the top of the forks flush with top of the tripletree, since the ground is still where it always was I assume that the front end is a little longer than the orig. Cant tell that it is causing any problems this way.

Bob
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

Sorry, I suppose that could be taken as some electrical ground, but no, I mean the ground that we ride on.

Bob
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Bhilldw0111 wrote:Jack, I just had my 98 changed to inverted forks and had to let it down about 11/2 inchs to get it back to orig height. My speedo cable would not reach with the top of the forks flush with top of the tripletree, since the ground is still where it always was I assume that the front end is a little longer than the orig. Cant tell that it is causing any problems this way.

Bob
Thanks Bob , I am sure the inverted forks must be longer than my old front forks and that's why my bike sets a little higher than it did with the old forks . I plan on lowering mine this winter , just don't feel like messing with it now . I didn't think about the speedo cable and front brake lines that will likely have to be shorter than they are now . No big deal
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Bob , any chance of posting some pictures of your bike so I can see what it looks like lowered ?
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

Hey Jack, I took some pics with my phone but Im not computer savvy enough to put them here or even on the computer for that matter. If I had a phone number I think I could manage to send them via text, at least I would try. Sorry, but I barely know how to turn this damn computer on, I'm either too old or too stupid, I like to think too old.

Bob
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

Bhilldw0111 wrote:Hey Jack, I took some pics with my phone but Im not computer savvy enough to put them here or even on the computer for that matter. If I had a phone number I think I could manage to send them via text, at least I would try. Sorry, but I barely know how to turn this damn computer on, I'm either too old or too stupid, I like to think too old.

Bob
I got them from phone to "my pictures" in computer, anyone that can tell me how to put them on here?

Bob
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Bhilldw0111 wrote:
Bhilldw0111 wrote:Hey Jack, I took some pics with my phone but Im not computer savvy enough to put them here or even on the computer for that matter. If I had a phone number I think I could manage to send them via text, at least I would try. Sorry, but I barely know how to turn this damn computer on, I'm either too old or too stupid, I like to think too old.

Bob
I got them from phone to "my pictures" in computer, anyone that can tell me how to put them on here?

Bob
Bob -

First off hit the reply button here. Scroll down and you will see "options" and "upload attachment" tabs. Click the upload attachment tab. Now you will go to right side of "filename" box and click browse ... now just navigate to where you have the pictures saved and click the one(s) you want and hit add file. Should be done ... hit the preview button and see your post before hitting submit.

Hope that helps

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

Thanks Don, For your help,

Jack I hope these get on here, The tubes are about 2 inchs out of the triple tree.

Bob
Attachments
IMG_0071[1].JPG
IMG_0070[1].JPG
IMG_0069[1].JPG
IMG_0068[1].JPG
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Thanks Bob , that's exactally what I wanted to see . Nice bike !
tjy

Post by tjy »

Good Job Bob, Your one ahead of me. I can't manage this yet.. Great looking Boss!! Tom

Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

hogv8 wrote:Thanks Bob , that's exactally what I wanted to see . Nice bike !
Thanks Jack and Tom, Hey Jack, If you let yours down let us see it, ill bet it is going to look a lot better, Im only 5'9" so it helps me reach the ground, u don't look like u have this problem though, if u don't like the look after u lower it, its not much of a job to go back to where it was or any place in between. If you just want it more level but don't want to lose the clearance you could raise the back by using shocks off a 502, I think they're an inch longer, but not positive of this, Good luck.

Bob
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I think this winter I'm going to lower it the way you did about 1" at first and go from there . I thought about raising the rear with Chopper City rear shock mounts but I like the rear the way it is .