Boss Hoss Coolant Fan

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Grand Canard

Boss Hoss Coolant Fan

Post by Grand Canard »

Does anyone know the specs on the radiator fan, or better yet the manufacturer and part number? I'm all but certain that that fan can be purchased from Summit Racing, etc.

I want to replace my existing fan with one that is more powerful, 3000cfm or better, but want to know everything about my existing fan that came with my 2008 LS bike.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
502wingman

Re: Boss Hoss Coolant Fan

Post by 502wingman »

I think the name of the company is Spal from Italy.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I'm interested in a higher CFM fan myself , keep us posted as to what you find .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

One problem is that the stock set up is a pusher fan which is a less efficient design than a puller fan. On my stock small block BH a pusher fan is no problem but if you start to make serious horsepower it becomes a problem. No matter how strong the fan is with it up against the radiator it can not push enough through it, on the other side in the pull position the same fan will draw a lot more air through the radiator. I learned this through having many flathead Ford V8 hot rodded engines which by design will run hot, even stock. Once they start making a little more horsepower the cooling becomes more and more of a problem.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I've been thinking of trying a high CFM curved blade pusher which would run quieter and have it run constantly . Any opinions ?
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Zirgo Ultra High Performance - 14" - ZFU14S -2785 CFM
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

I ordered the Derale fan because it is deeper and has a 22 amp 2 speed motor; hopefully it will solve my problem.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-18214

The Zirgo claims a higher CFM, but they have a small motor and also have too many bad reviews.
I tried to make it a puller fan but couldn't because of space limitations.
One thing is for sure, my existing 7 yr old factory fan barely puts-out; maybe it's faulty?

Berzerker gets hot (210) quick in this sweltering Louisiana summer heat; it's too hot to ride in this weather anyway!!

I'll post an update one received, installed, and tested.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Just ordered a replacement for my gangsta.
Take a look see what you guys think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161744120070?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Carl La Fong wrote:Zirgo Ultra High Performance - 14" - ZFU14S -2785 CFM
I ordered this Zirgo fan last winter but discovered the mounting tabs were in a different location than the fan I had on my bike of which I had fabricated nice rigid fan mounts that I don't want to give up so I sent the fan back . The fan I have is also a High performance type straight blade model but I'm not sure of the make . I'm pretty sure it's a Spal and it's loud . I guess I'll have to look for a high performance Spal high performance curved blade fan if I want to use my mounts .
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Grand Canard wrote:I ordered the Derale fan because it is deeper and has a 22 amp 2 speed motor; hopefully it will solve my problem.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-18214

The Zirgo claims a higher CFM, but they have a small motor and also have too many bad reviews.
I tried to make it a puller fan but couldn't because of space limitations.
One thing is for sure, my existing 7 yr old factory fan barely puts-out; maybe it's faulty?

Berzerker gets hot (210) quick in this sweltering Louisiana summer heat; it's too hot to ride in this weather anyway!!

I'll post an update one received, installed, and tested.

WOW, 265 watts/2100cfm. When the engine gets to 210 quick does it keep climbing? I personaly think many of the V8 bikes and trikes run too cool. I've seen guys run from 165-185 degrees ... I think that is too cool. I think the optimal temps would be between 195-200. With all your electronics do you have oil temp? Can you fatten it up a tad without hurting performance? Your making a shitload of HP, I think you will always see the higher end of temp range. I've also run Evan Coolant in turbo bikes and supercharged bikes before and average 5-10 degrees cooler then standard antifreeze. Another advantage of the Evans is a pressure-less system, gaskets and seals will thank you! Maybe adjust your coolant ratio with higher percentage of water ...

Good luck Ricky, no doubt you will find the right solution!

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

You need to be careful when you get a curved blade fan, because they are directional and most are pullers and you need a pusher with it mounted on the front of the radiator.
John
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Thanks Johnny , I know ,I also know a curved blade fan is not as efficient as a straight blade but I think with it running all the time it should keep the temp down to what I don't know without trying one . If I had a dollar for everything I've tried over the years with negative results I'd have quite a pile of one dollar bills . On the other hand I've come up with some good ideas over the years with good success . Hey it's only time and money . I've got lots of time .
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

I always thought that a curved blade was more efficient than a straight due to increased surface area, but I'm not sure.
The Derale fan doesn't fit, too thick.
I removed and tested my factory Spal fan and it is fine, blows hard.
A little bit of investigative work is pointing to a faulty 165 degree thermostat. My temp would climb to 250 degrees within 5 minutes, so I'd pull-over and kill the engine and leave the water pump and fan running. The radiator was maybe 120 degrees, could leave my hand on the radiator, then I could hear the thermostat open and the engine temp would fall RAPIDLY to 160 or so and the radiator become hot.
Going to replace the thermostat tomorrow.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Sorted!
Replaced thermostat, runs cooler now, 200 degrees; it'll run cooler once this summer heat passes, It's bloody HOT!!
750-800HP with a 20" wide double pass radiator has its limitations I suppose.
That fucking bike is scary FAST!! I'm unintentionally smoking the my drag radial at speeds well over 100mph. Trying to learn throttle control, keep the tire planted; I know many of you want to make smoke, I don't.
I just received a go-pro 4 in the mail, once I figure-out how to use will video some runs and post them.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Best way I have found to use the Go-Pro is with the Smartphone app. and the camera in Bluetooth mode. Mount the phone on the bars and you can tell the camera what to do and when without trying to remember what button does what and in which order.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

petitemoose wrote:Best way I have found to use the Go-Pro is with the Smartphone app. and the camera in Bluetooth mode. Mount the phone on the bars and you can tell the camera what to do and when without trying to remember what button does what and in which order.
One of my riding buds has one of these GoPro remotes:
http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/smart ... E-002.html
Appears to work great.
Regards,

Mark

Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Here are pictures of the new fan I installed this morning works great looks great. Was 90* today was going on/off top temp 200* at a light. For the money I think it's a great buy compared to others.
Attachments
IMAG0874.jpg
IMAG0873.jpg
IMAG0872.jpg
IMAG0869.jpg
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

mmaupin wrote:
petitemoose wrote:Best way I have found to use the Go-Pro is with the Smartphone app. and the camera in Bluetooth mode. Mount the phone on the bars and you can tell the camera what to do and when without trying to remember what button does what and in which order.
One of my riding buds has one of these GoPro remotes:
http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/smart ... E-002.html
Appears to work great.
I now have the app and received a remote for my GoPro 4; tomorrow morning planning to record some vids; if they're worth a shit I'll post them.
Can I download the vids directly to this site?? I'm kinda leery of putting them on YouTube just for the purpose of using the link to post here, the fuzz might come to my house since I'd have provided them with evidence of criminal speeds.

Mike, looks like you made a good deal at $49 as I recall; every penny counts!!

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I am pretty sure you can. i wouldn't want them posted on You Tube either. I am not smart enough to tell you how but I am confident that Bill and / or Susan are :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Dennis, I wish you were right. Unfortunately, there is no other way to post the videos here without using a third party host like You Tube, Vimeo, etc. Ricky, if you happen to be filming in Mexico you would be fine though. :mrgreen:

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Ricky, I'm really glad to hear you got all the bugs out of it and finally get to enjoy all that went into it. Plus, cooler riding weather isn't too far ahead, even better. And you reminded me, now that my 408 has been gone for some time, the thought of smoking it at 100 plus scares me ! SHIT< that means I'm getting old... That was a lot of fun doing that next to my HD riding buddies. (Mine would only do that at 50 though). Take care! Be safe. Stay cool.
buyarbi

Post by buyarbi »

Anybody know where I can get a chrome rad fan for a 2002 bike
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Found this one on eBay
Got to love a trier ? Hast to ba a typeo
This one is more like it
Both numbers ebay
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

I have a spare fan in NZ... long way away, but since I sold my NZ bikes for ergonomic (not economic) reasons i.e. as the doctors would say non-technically, a buggered hip joint - the spare fan is available. Let me know if interested and I'll post some pix.
My 100-proof woman
A bottle of 95-proof whiskey
A tank of 90-proof gas
And 502ci of V8 bike
:ridding:
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Probably should be another post but here goes. Where can I get a fan center with the BH logo. I’ve emailed BH but no answer again ?
Thanks