Trike Park Brake Kit

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Trike Park Brake Kit

Post by CanuckHoss »

Here is the Park Brake kit we need to put on any trike coming into Canada. DOT requires it. WHY? Because all other trikes have it...I know I know..they don't have a true park like our trikes but that bears no weight with DOT. Kits are not cheap and with labour cost me about $1,000 and this one I had to eat that cost because I did not know I needed it when I brought it in and quoted the buyer..new rule as of 6 months ago or less.

This is the first one we installed. Went on a presold 2005 57 Chev SB that will be picked up after I get back from Germany
Attachments
FullSizeRender-18.jpg
FullSizeRender-17.jpg
FullSizeRender-16.jpg
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Mark

Re: Trike Park Brake Kit

Post by Mark »

Barry, there is an issue with that setup as we have the same mandatory installation here in Germany. Sometimes the "handbrake" doesn't release properly resulting in an immediate loss of the adjacent speedo sensor.

Whenever you use that brake the mount bends a little towards that serrated disk you see in the first picture.

We lost the sensor twice as the sensor is using the same mount as the handbrake setup and got an unwanted "shave" after putting that park brake system to work.

Actually I would tell your guy not to use the handbrake at all. Just my 2cents.

Mark
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

Ok guys, here's one for both of you. This may also go towards the discussion of Boss Hoss becoming compliant. In Canada, and the UK/EU, are kickstand cut off switches mandatory? As in bike won't start with kickstand down.

I just ran across this at a Triumph dealer. Rocket 3/Motor Trike had a kickstand. I asked WTF. The guy told me it is now mandatory, and their service guys will fail a bike for inspection if not functioning. (I'll go up the street, and ask the guy I deal with, when I get a chance). So, they just left it on the trike, rather than take it off.

I've never heard of this, and a quick search, as usual, comes up with all kinds of answers. I understand pre-law bikes would probably be grandfathered in, but what about new? Barry? Mark? This trike did have parking brake also, which, by the way, is a $600 + Installation option.
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Harleys still don't have kickstand switches and have not heard they need but not surprising.

I know what you are saying Mark about applying and using it. It is only necessary for passing DOT and I really don't see the need for it otherwise.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

My :england: MOT (I believe the same as your DOT) tester doesn't test if the sidestand has a cut-off and my very thorough one-off UK Vehicle and Operator Safety Agency didn't either and they really set down the law. So it doesn't appear an issue in the UK.
Gordon from England
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

You could have simply put a brick in a pouch to be placed behind or in front of the rear tire ( depending on grade ) $20 Solution.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Kickstand cut-off switches are mandatory in Germany. My first brandnew Boss Hoss ZZ4 had one of those! However, I have never heard that one kept a kickstand after turning a bike into a trike. Doesn't make sense to me.

In fact, we purchased the Boss Hoss Trike kit and migrated my SB into a trike last year and removed the kickstand in the process.

We did the same ten years ago when we mounted a sidecar to a former bike I used to ride. Sidestand was removed also.
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

"I have never heard that one kept a kickstand after turning a bike into a trike. Doesn't make sense to me."

Yeah, I think it's just laziness/idiocy on the part of the builder and dealer.

This pastime is just getting way too proper and technical. This kickstand safety thing is actually referred to as...
"SSIS" - Side Stand Interlock System
whew...
(in case anyone wants to sound... well, you know)
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam