Anyone have a belt driven waterpump installed?

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Hanginon

Anyone have a belt driven waterpump installed?

Post by Hanginon »

Considering it and thought I'd ask what you guys have experienced? Of course the concept makes great sense since it eliminates electrical failure in the middle of nowhere and a spare belt is easy to store and change on the fly... Not sure what the flow rate is on jabsco compared to mechanical either except to say I'd imagine it's much better concerning flow density at higher rpms.

Thoughts???

Thanks!!

Jim
"It ain't over till the secondaries open"!!!
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Anyone have a belt driven waterpump installed?

Post by Carl La Fong »

I have one. I built it in my home shop. It works just fine. I generally run at 100 degrees above ambient air temperature. You can see it on my blog. Start at 12/29/09 and you'll see how I modified the water manifold, as well
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

Thanks Carl, I remembered seeing it but couldn't remember where... Will check it out again.
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Sounds like a plan ,question guys on mine with rear cooling it looks like I could install a belt unit ? As their looks like a lot of room their
Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

Butkicker wrote:Sounds like a plan ,question guys on mine with rear cooling it looks like I could install a belt unit ? As their looks like a lot of room their

Rear cooling?? Obviously I've either not been paying attention to trikes that well lately or I have missed something... when did that happen and on what build? Excuse my ignorance please.. Cool concept but haven't seen it live. What does your temps run now and at what RPM?

Thanks,

Jim
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Hanginon wrote:
Butkicker wrote:Sounds like a plan ,question guys on mine with rear cooling it looks like I could install a belt unit ? As their looks like a lot of room their
WHY DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE REAR COOLING?

Rear cooling?? Obviously I've either not been paying attention to trikes that well lately or I have missed something... when did that happen and on what build? Excuse my ignorance please.. Cool concept but haven't seen it live. What does your temps run now and at what RPM?

Thanks,

Jim

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
tjy

Post by tjy »

I believe Butkicker has a Tim Dalbeck build tim mounted the rad. under the rear body but I don't remember how its plumbed?

Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Hey yes rear fan an rad under body an yes a Tim trike boss concepts , water pump sits against fame on right side easy to get at fan is a puller it blows against ground mean dust cloud if on dirt don't want to be behind me then does have a fan cut off if needed trike runs around 195-205 f Works good defiantly cooler for driver an passenger But on 90 f days doing 70 for a while need to turn on fan as not much air movement under body just need to watch it if running 55 or lower no issues
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

It's an old thread but something I've been thinking about changing ~

Either connecting the water pump power to a Temp thermostat that kicks in & out at X/X degrees.

Or...

Not a direct belt drive but more like a water pump wheel contacting and driven off the back of the Alternator belt?

Any thoughts?
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Refer back to post #2 and you can click on the link to my blog to see how I built mine. It has performed flawlessly. In retrospect, I should have just plopped down the 400 bucks and bought a Meiziere remotely mounted, mechanical pump but that would have been too easy. Actually, if I hadn't had so many casting failures or screwed up the first one, which came out perfectly, It would have been a two or three day project
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Yikes you're a busy guy!

I feel exhausted after reading some of you battles and missions :)

I see you've changed to belt driven but it's tight for space in behind the radiator, I was thinking about the pulley wheel you've fitted but have it rolling off the outer side of the belt driving the Alternator.
The water pump mounting plate provides plenty of scope for adjustment to align everything.

The only reason I'm thinking about this is when I switch on the ignition it sounds like a washing machine. :roll:
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Here is a better shot of the pump. It mounts up the same as the alternator but on the opposite side. There are no clearance problems, though is has to be considered a permanent change since the mount for the Jabsco pump has to be cut off
20170721_150958.jpg