Chopper Trike Squealing Brakes

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Buck
$ite $upporter

Chopper Trike Squealing Brakes

Post by Buck »

Susan's and my trikes have rear brakes that raise holy hell. I contacted Wilwood and have just received and installed some new pads that supposedly have less of a tendency to squeal. I also installed a piece of plastic sheeting between the rear of the pad and the piston. We will not have an opportunity to do a test ride before Daytona but check w/ there for an appraisal. If good, anyone who needs the part number we can send it and you can order them from Summit, Wilwood was out of stock.
Buck
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: Chopper Trike Squealing Brakes

Post by Iron Maiden »

I will be interested in hearing if they work. We just used a grease recommended by Neil Webber called "CRC silaramic Brake Grease" it was $15 for a large tube, we have plenty of left over so of it works and anyone needs it let us know.

We also sanded the pads and rotors with 100 grit. I will take it out tomorrow and give a ride report although it might take a few rides to really tell if it works.

VMan recommended that we "bed" the brakes- Don can you describe your technique? - thanks. Anybody else have any suggestions?

The next fix is the squeaky alternator/water pump belt :banghead:

Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

Assuming the pads and rotors are good the squeal isn't harmful, other than to the ears.The squeal is caused by vibrations in the brakes. Unfortunately all brakes vibrate but the engineers try to design them so the frequency of the vibrations is not in range of the human ear.

Now based on the above, grease will help eliminate/reduce the squeal but the grease will eventually wear out and must be reapplied. Hopefully the plastic I am using will be more of a permanent fix, also the softer compound of the pads (not a high heat compound) will also help to reduce/eliminate the squeal according to Wilwood. Time will tell. I have used 2 different anti-squeal greases to no avail, in fact Susan's trike still had a significant amount on the rear of the pads, mine did not.
The moral of the story, shoot me a message after Bike Week and I'll give an update; we will run into each other quite a few times during the next week or so remind me then also.
Buck
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

I hate my brakes!!!. the bike came with the cheapest pads that Wilwood makes. Then I bought the most expensive pads they make, then I bought the plastic to go behind the pads, and tried the spray adhesive. did the sanding, nothing works. talked to Wilwood many times. They said I have to do this 10 step seating thing. Well if it takes all these steps, then they have a problem with their brakes. I am ready to try another brand of brake shoes. (any suggestions) I believe the main problem is my rotors are steel not iron like most are. And they do not make an iron rotor that is a direct replacement. A complete redesign will be needed.
I hope you find a fix Buck. We need one
:popcorn:
Norm
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

I'll advise as to how it goes. Wilwood stated that they do not offer a direct upgrade replacement for the calibers as the bolt patterns do not mate up on any of their other calibers. I was looking for a dual piston caliber that would stop the trike quicker and not make noise while doing so. Anyway, we'll see how things go.
Buck
V-MAN

No Squeel On Mine ...

Post by V-MAN »

Iron Maiden wrote:I will be interested in hearing if they work. We just used a grease recommended by Neil Webber called "CRC silaramic Brake Grease" it was $15 for a large tube, we have plenty of left over so of it works and anyone needs it let us know.

We also sanded the pads and rotors with 100 grit. I will take it out tomorrow and give a ride report although it might take a few rides to really tell if it works.

VMan recommended that we "bed" the brakes- Don can you describe your technique? - thanks. Anybody else have any suggestions?

The next fix is the squeaky alternator/water pump belt :banghead:
With all the squealing brakes around I almost feel guilty reporting I have no squeal. I know it a real issue because I have heard many of them ... if I had the problem it would drive me crazy too!

When you have new pads and rotors they need to be seated/beaded to work properly and avoid the dreaded squeal and pulsing. All brake manf have their particular process to bed their pads/rotors. The steps below are general guidelines and how I do all of mine (motorcycle, car, truck).

Run the vehicle up to 50-55 mph and in the trikes case only use the rear brakes (squealing issue). Grab a handful of brake lever and VERY hard bring speed down to about 20mph ... Do this same thing 4-5 times! Do not come to a stop and don't let brakes cool at all. Now bring speed up to around 40-45 mph and moderately squeeze just rear brakes again (since this is our concern). Bring the speed moderately down to again 15-20 mph. Do this 4-5 times ... Now you want the brakes to cool down, ride around another 5miles or so without touching the rear brake at all! You pads should be beded/seated with the rotors. Since your rotors and pads are not brand new you will need to "scruff" them up well before starting.

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but many of you have ridden with me and can attest my brakes DO NOT SQUEAL. I have no plastic shims between pads and calipers, I have never pulled mine apart or used any type of anti-squeal grease ... Just seated from day one. My trike stops REAL good front or rear brake. Don't be afraid to grab a handful.

PS
Using iPad to write this so please excuse any errors in spelling etc ... Auto correct not always the best!
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

tjy

Post by tjy »

Maybe I'm ahead of the game as most of my almost 1800 miles have been with only rear brakes. :dunno:

Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

With all the squealing brakes around I almost feel guilty reporting I have no squeal. I know it a real issue because I have heard many of them ... if I had the problem it would drive me crazy too!
we did not have that issue w/ our first 2 trikes
tjy

Re: No Squeel On Mine ...

Post by tjy »

My trike stops REAL good front or rear brake. Don't be afraid to grab a handful.

Don It's the "Big Tire Syndrome"! :toofunny: :burnout:

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Mine started after 8,000 miles. Must be those small rear tires (inside joke -those involved will understand ;bullshit:) -LOL

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Buck...if I were you I would just trade it off....wink wink
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
tjy

Post by tjy »