Big Block - Rear Suspension Alternatives

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Mark

Big Block - Rear Suspension Alternatives

Post by Mark »

I am looking for some advice in relation to the standard BH rear suspension. Just wondering what alternatives - with or without air ride - are available to my ZZ502 and how they compare to the standard setup in terms of comfort and durability?

Any thoughts?

Best regards

Mark
hogv8

Re: Big Block - Rear Suspension Alternatives

Post by hogv8 »

Mark , Have you experimented with different weight rear springs . I've found that 400 Lb. springs work great on my SB and I've heard that 450 Lb. springs work great on BB's . What are your present springs rated ?
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

I agree with Jack 400 lb on SB much nicer ride an Aldan shock in CA great to work with 450 lb on BB
Ric

Post by Ric »

I just sent my shocks to Aldan, and they put on 450 lb springs at no cost to me, other than freight.

Once I wound them up to where they no longer bottom out… it's been a sweet ride since then!

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

While I can't speak for the BB, I've had an Arnott air shock set up on my SB for two years now and have been very satisfied with the ride and the ability to quick adjust.

At the time I put the air suspension on the bike I also sent the original shocks to Aldan for repair (one was leaking oil) and they refurbished and added heavier springs for no charge other than shipping back to me - even though I am the 3rd owner of the bike (speaks volumes for Aldan's support of their products). I'm keeping the refurbished pair on the shelf as a back-up should I even encounter significant issues with the Arnott air ride. I can't speak to the comparison of the air shocks to the refurbished shocks with heavier springs, as I haven't had the original shocks back on the bike since making the change.
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
Mark

Post by Mark »

Jack,

in all honesty I just dont know what rating my springs have. Is there a way to check or perhaps a mark on the springs to tell what type of springs I have on my bike?

I take from your comments that standard springs on a BB provide 400lbs? Going for heavier springs sounds like a terrific plan at minimal cost. I wasn't aware that such an option even existed!

Just out of curiosity, are there any aftermarket solutions which work even better than the stock setup?

re arnott air ride: I believe Arnott suspension is somewhere located near Cape Canaveral, I was thinking stoping by during the next bike week and check them out. Not sure if they offer direct sales and maintain a store.

Having the Arnott Airride installed and perhaps the current set refurbished and upgraded with heavier springs sounds like a good plan also. Otherwise I have to stay put until I get my pair of Aldan shocks back from the factory. Does Arnott offer different models for the 502?

Best regards
Mark
mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

Arnott does have several options, including a 502 set up.

http://www.arnottairsuspension.com/prod ... ?makeId=27
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Mark , Aldan uses a color code to tell the lb. of the springs . I don't know the codes but if you go on there web site you will see the code . The color code should be painted on either the top or the bottom of your springs . Sometimes it's hard to find depending on where your spring is turned . You may have to rotate your springs to located the paint markings .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Mark wrote:Jack,

in all honesty I just dont know what rating my springs have. Is there a way to check or perhaps a mark on the springs to tell what type of springs I have on my bike?

I take from your comments that standard springs on a BB provide 400lbs? Going for heavier springs sounds like a terrific plan at minimal cost. I wasn't aware that such an option even existed!

Just out of curiosity, are there any aftermarket solutions which work even better than the stock setup?

re arnott air ride: I believe Arnott suspension is somewhere located near Cape Canaveral, I was thinking stoping by during the next bike week and check them out. Not sure if they offer direct sales and maintain a store.

Having the Arnott Airride installed and perhaps the current set refurbished and upgraded with heavier springs sounds like a good plan also. Otherwise I have to stay put until I get my pair of Aldan shocks back from the factory. Does Arnott offer different models for the 502?

Best regards
Mark
I never did the spring replacement trick but I put ARNOTT air ride on myself 6 years ago and like the ride and have never had a problem.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I am looking to do Arnotts on my BB bike and BB trike...we are a dealer now so I can get a bit of a break on pricing for myself.

Honestly though...if my back were 100% I would not be changing the suspension on the 57 trike but would consider the BB bike anyways.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Arnotts ordered Thursday...arrived Friday...install maybe this week if the techs are not swamped, otherwise next week...

Ride report immediately after weather permitting...have to add the weather thing as it has pretty much sucked the last 6 weeks..
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Mark..not sure how I missed answering your question on your thread here.

I concluded this spring that the Arnotts did indeed make a difference on my BB ride but not enough for the condition of my back then.

BUT after riding Ric's bike and my back back-to-back 2 days in a row about 10 days ago I can say that the Arnotts are a wayyy better ride than stock.

I don't think anyone can go wrong installing the Arnott on their bike...they are pricey but really..what isn't these days??

if you want to see what Arnotts are like take a trip up here and you can take my BB bike for a rip...
CanuckHoss

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Mark,
Ride the bike to Italy and drop it off at Ducati. Tell them to put a single sided swingarm on it :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Mark

Post by Mark »

CanuckHoss wrote: I don't think anyone can go wrong installing the Arnott on their bike...they are pricey but really..what isn't these days??
Barry, great confirmation that I may have made the right choice. In fact, I did purchase an Arnott airride system directly from the factory using the coupon from the other forum. Actually, MBH is doing the install and I am looking forward to the experience when I pick up my bike again at Bikeweek 2015.

I am aware that there are some similar airride products from other manufacturer in the market but decided in favor of Arnott Inc. as Arnott Industries is located at Merritt Island on Florida’s Space Coast in the wider vicinity of Daytona Beach/Volusia County .

I felt that in the event I need a spare part or need replacement I can always swing by the factory and seek help.

A few learnings points / considerations surfaced when I talked to Tom about the install:

1) Tom suggested to also install the CCS raising shock block although I purchased the correct Arnott kit made for the 502. So why the raising block? The reason is that in the event the airride system deflates eg. due to an electrical failure or defected airlines or so - there would be still enough room between the tire and rear fender. Without the raising kit the fender would rub on the tire causing damage and leaving me stranded wherever I would be at that point in time.

2) The airride kit also includes an air pressure gauge which - I was told - may not be of the best quality and is prone to give inaccurate results. So I opted for an Dakota Digital after market gauge which is viewed as more accurate, also more durable plus it looks much better.

3) The compressor which formed part of the package was according to MBH not the right one. Meaning not as powerful as another alternative from Arnott. I would have never noticed it!!

4) We also discussed the best mounting location for the compressor and decided to go with the most common spot which is underneath the left side panel. I know you installed your set in the "trunk" of the BH but I wanted to preserve that little glove box for tools, goggles, camera etc.

5) On a related note: I let the pair of Aldan shocks being shipped to the Aldan factory for MRO work and upgrade to stronger springs - having always an alternative in the event the Airride fails!

Best regards

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

petitemoose wrote:Mark,
Ride the bike to Italy and drop it off at Ducati. Tell them to put a single sided swingarm on it :)
Dennis, that is not an option. I really like Ducati but given my size I wouldn't fit on anything which comes out of their shop. :-(

However, a single sided swingarm is thought provoking but I would fear the dimensions of such construction and the off-center weight causing likely an imbalance when riding.

Just for the sake of argument: I would go with an all aluminum version similar to the style as offered by BH Germany or from BH Denmark.
image-2.jpeg
I would move the vented disc brake to the other side between the rear hub and the sprocket or use a sprocket brake caliper (see Glen's Big Block below).
055.jpg
Of course the single sided swingarm has to be brutally reenforced but then there is also the question of the rear suspension to be solved.

Either a BH concepts type of approach or something similar to the mono shock BMW came out with when they launched the BMW R 80 G/S (G/S = GeländeSport = Off Road) in 1980!
20130629_192236.jpg
images-1.jpeg
images-1.jpeg (7.21 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
Well such a strong mono shock wouldn't be easy to find. Overall, the solution would be unique but not cheap nor easy to ride having all the weight on one side.

:doh:

Mark
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

That is good news Mark..I can't see you not being happy especially seeing as how your back is good.

the air pressure only sets the ride height..nothing else..then you adjust the 1 position dampner button..softest is counter clockwise I beleive and go from there. i set mine on 2...basically 1 setting from the softest and run about 90 lbs of air for the ride height...everyone will be different for sure.

My only regrets are that I wish I would have done the Arnotts on every V8 bike I have owned as I am now more time spent on the trike.
CanuckHoss

mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

Mark,

I had issues with the Arnott air gauges - two separate ones developed leaks around the glass face in short order. I put a Dakota gauge on the bike and never looked back.

I also have Marv's shock extensions on the bike (my small block) to give me more height and clearance from the 330 tire.

On my big block I have the Aldans, but hope to add the Arnott air ride at some point (too many things to do at once).

Cheers,
Mike